Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a set of Sonic .9 kg/mm straight rate springs. The fork oil I had ordered was not in, so I've got the stock oil still in.

I weigh 245 and .9 is what Sonic recommended for normal street riding with a bike of the 500's weight and my weight.

I wound up using a 5 7/16" spacer, which gave me 1 1/4" of sag.

Brake dive is much more controlled and relative to the effort, rather than being bottomed at fairly low efforts.

Bumps are now soaked up rather than jarring. Bike feel much better planted when heeled over.

Now I need to work on the rear...

Took me about 45 minutes to do this and it was the first time I ever changed springs.

A tool that came in VERY handly was a seal pick that had a C shaped hook at the end. I used it to fish the little clip out and it only took me about 3 tries on the first fork and got it on the 1st try with the second fork. Just pushed the clip back down with my fingernail to get it back in.

I wound up using a medium size phillips screwdriver to push the top plug down and that worked fine. I'm sure the 2-handed gear puller would have made it even easier, but I did not have one handy.

I had a miter saw which made cutting the pvc spacer a cinch.

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Did you remember to bend the end of the C clips in a little so you could get them easy when you oil come in?

FOG

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was so easy to remove with the little hooked seal pick that I did not worry about bending it in.

I saw that tip though, and was planning on doing it. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
That's pretty good man , I didn't know there were other choices out there besides Race tech , the emulators still sound like a good idea to have though .

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
ommyt69 said:
That's pretty good man , I didn't know there were other choices out there besides Race tech , the emulators still sound like a good idea to have though .
There is also Traxxion Dynamics.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm certainly going to do the emulators as well. They do for the damping what the straight rates do for the springing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts