Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 13 of 94 Posts

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,309 Posts
Wow, nice. IMHO can't go wrong with Honda quality and reliability. The inline 4 should prove to be an awesome, quick competent dedicated, modern styled streetbike and not a quasi off/on road, SUV crossover duck billed pointy thing.

I like the styling, the engine bay is not "busy" with add-ons going up/down and sideways...no crowded "afterthoughts".

Looks like it'll accept standard handlebars? Are the old "Superbike" brand or type bars still being made? Back when, they offered various bends and rise rates to offer looks, sporty ergonomics and comfort....from flat to 3-4" rise. Was "the" first mod often made.
May be an affordable option to look into. OTOH I may be terribly dating and outing myself as the old fart basset I am.

Subscribed, I look forward to reading your experiences, insights and thoughts on it. In a mechanical sense, as well as riding impressions.

Solid decision...congrats and luck going forward.

·
Administrator
16,309 Posts
The more I look at it, the more I like. Bar height to seat looks like it'll yield a very comfortable riding position. Open engine bay looks like it'll shed Florida heat for you....and engine itself is artwork. Massive swingarm, giant brake discs.

Looks like its screaming for that high rear fender thing to "go away".

85 HP....top speed 120 or so....enough to get one in trouble, more than enough for a streetbike. Wet weight 461 acceptable. PGM-FI system...I'm thinking they still have the onboard computer friendly interface...if ever the FI light illuminates, simply set to service mode...count the number of blinks, refer to your service manual for info to lead you directly to problem area and possibilities. Its on my VFR and I *wish* it were on my FI Ducati, which requires cabling to external computer with special program, ugh.

This motorbike is a very smart choice, looks like a well thought out total package, leave it to Honda.

I salute you, @Devilsfan on making a wise decision.

When you're able, please post further initial riding impressions! (I'm sure you're out enjoying right now) :smile2:

·
Administrator
16,309 Posts
@Devilsfan from ^ pic it looks so comfy. Really tasty styling too. Did your sales guy say they were selling well? (they should be)

Anything new to report or expand upon? Neat pics?

·
Administrator
16,309 Posts
I'm glad for you! An intelligent choice, obvious perfect step up for any EX owner who's got the itch. Super styling... except......for the atrocious thing hanging so far off the rear. It really looks like an afterthought, way too long. Unfortunately the Neo CR has it too. I'd be anxious to ditch that thing ASAP...I'm sure the aftermarket will soon devise and offer something with a tastier fit visually. Still, doesn't minimize the rest of the awesome bike, though.

BTW is your lighting full LED?

IF I were to pull the trigger again at my age, that '19 Neo CR in red (of course) would be right up my alley. Gotta be a ton of fun. However, that rear "thing" would likely have an immediate encounter with a hacksaw upon entry into my garage. :surprise:

All told, a very wise decision, @Devilsfan One nice motorbike.

·
Administrator
16,309 Posts

·
Administrator
16,309 Posts
Super, hey I'll have to visit my local Honda dealer to check it out further. Its bar to seat height appears to deliver a relaxed, mature but yet sporting rider stance....looks reasonable and practical, contrary to extreme supersport Ricky Racer "ass up, wrists down". I want to evaluate that further...in person, butt on seat, hands on bars.

I'm thinking this is a modern, radical continuation of refinement to the now discontinued CBR600 series....though Honda seems to be marketing it without using any connection.

Refinement being typically Honda (think the VFR750/800 series over its super long production run, up to 8th generation now)

IF I were in the new market...this a very appealing (if not top) contender.
@Devilsfan is there any reference to using the Honda PGM FI system in your manual? If as user friendly as is on my VFR....thats another feather in its cap. Very efficient, simple diagnostics when needed (but hopefully not for a long time)

Another question...basic service, oil & filter...easy?

Appreciate the dialog, thanks for your ongoing insights!

·
Administrator
16,309 Posts
@Devilsfan I will move this thread from "Off topic" to "Other motorcycle talk". Just noticed.

Reactions: Devilsfan

·
Administrator
16,309 Posts
the PGM system, on my VFR allows diagnostic utilizing the FI light as a "blinker".

Real example using PGM I recently experienced......FI light comes on during a ride. Waited till I returned home....bike off...sidestand down, turn key to "ON" (this activates the PGM system) ...count number of blinks (8) ...it'll repeat at an interval. Referring to paper factory service manual the chart lists 8 blinks as something related to the TPS..throttle position sensor. Accessing with tank lifted at front (its pivoted in rear) I removed the TPS electrical connector, sprayed both male and female with appropriate contact cleaner....used a tiny brush further cleaned the contacts (the bike is now 21 years old). I've run the bike a few hundred miles since with no further FI light illumination.

Point is...their onboard PGM system directly, effortlessly led me to the component related to some issue. Must decide repair path pending further diagnosis...but at least you are led to the area of issue.

I'd venture to say a look inside the service manual for the 650 will reveal if it is similar, if not the same user friendly interface...though yours will be modernized.

On the flipside my Ducati requires cabling to a separate computer (a dedicated laptop here) using a fairly complicated (to me at least) interface program to diagnose and interpret same. The Honda PGM so effortless in comparison.

AFA exhaust, I'd tend to leave it alone...vid example just too freakin' loud. The cop'll hear you a mile before you get there. I prefer to sneak up to (and by) him.

The last thing I want to do is screw with programming or mapping on my newer FI Duc...their forum filled with fails. No thanky.

·
Administrator
16,309 Posts
"If the MCS is not available, DTC can be read from the ECM memory by the MIL blink pattern."

The MCS (don't know what it actually stands for) must be their diagnostic computer based service tool, but the overall nature of the PGM system, though obviously modernized and refined from the earlier version on my VFR, does seem to utilize the same user friendly onboard diagnostic interface.

This IS a definite plus, in a longterm ownership/service sense. No outboard cables, computers or programs needed. Note this does not allow self "mapping".

Mapping, gets into the all popular Power Commander, if you are so inclined. I've got an ancient, period correct PCII for the VFR, played with it and removed it, the VFR runs so great as is in stock form, which I'd suspect you'd find same with the 650.

IMHO not even needed....I guess its a standard play toy for the "mod crowd".

Further input appreciated @Devilsfan Confirms useful PGM another checkmark in the + column for this Honda 650 series.

·
Administrator
16,309 Posts
Purely IMHO but hearing the above exhaust ... the words obnoxious and immature come to mind. Many db too loud..and yuch, its popping on the overrun. Perhaps (likely) I'm showing my age but...no thanky.

Riding a really loud machine grows on you. On a long interstate ride it becomes more and more annoying, you turn to earplugs...a headache follows, and sooner than later you'll wish for a quiet exhaust. Eventually unbearable, causing you to commit to yourself to never take such a long ride again OR to replace, rebaffle, quiet them down somehow.

A local member here recently had Delkevic shortys, see through no baffle. Painfully obnoxious. Sensible, quickly traded them for stock mufflers. He's even a young fella, thankfully his better judgement got a hold of him.

·
Administrator
16,309 Posts
hey @Devilsfan now that you've got (I'd guess) some miles on, after some break-in.........further updates?

·
Administrator
16,309 Posts
My ancient, $30 1965 CB160 sold me on Honda reliability long ago, my VFR800 reaffirmed it.

The CB650's fully faired cousin CBR650R would look awful good sitting between my V twin Ducatis and V4 Honda. Perfectly complimenting the stable.

Midsize, 450 lb wet, tasty good looks, great handler (as @Devilsfan has confirmed), bar to seat height indicates tolerable if not entirely comfortable riding position.

Except for that awful, long thing hangin' off the rear end. First, immediate mod....chop! :wink2:

I'll make it a point to see one at my nearest Honda dealer, perhaps this week. Heat wave over...I'll incorporate a visit in with a ride.

Repeat...the more I look the more I like this thing.

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,309 Posts
One of the British forum members posted this:

He got 237 kmph on the speedo (146 mph) and 220 kmph (136 mph) on his GPS.
I believe its listed at around 80HP. In my case...its top speed would never be explored. More its overall manners in handling and street/traffic abilities. My riding varies from very slow, twisty backroads, boring highway drones, to "spirited" twisties, but certainly NOT including any immature dumb stuff, speeding, cutting between cars, illegal crap, risk taking ...etc etc.

1 - 13 of 94 Posts