Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

101 - 120 of 155 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,496 Posts
@Devilsfan Is your supplied tool kit similar to mine? :surprise:

Honda must be pretty darn confident in this thing! We don't even need no steenkin' tools!

Attachments

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
@Devilsfan Is your supplied tool kit similar to mine? :surprise:

Honda must be pretty darn confident in this thing! We don't even need no steenkin' tools!

HAHAHA!!! More than what I got. I opened my tool kit and it had the helmet lock and fuse puller...that's it!

Seriously, even if it came with more I never trust the OEM tool kits. They may work in a pinch but even then, they could fail on you when you need them the most. I build my own kit with more reliable tools.

·
Super Moderator
14,496 Posts
The contents of a 2019 CBR650 motorcycle tool (?) kit:
*helmet lock
*hex wrench for front seat removal (allowing access to battery and fuse box)
*fuse puller

Both laughable while refreshingly modern :surprise: ....I'll admit they've got confidence in their machine, for sure. As do I, for that matter. :smile2:

·
Super Moderator
14,496 Posts
pic as promised. A red rear seat cowl and a front seat redo with softer foam are in order. Closing in on getting it tweaked to my satisfaction.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Holy Cow! Looks like a whole different machine without that errr...appendage hanging off the rear. :grin2: Bet you don't get more comments about hangy downy bits on your bike. :laugh: LoL.........sean

·
Super Moderator
14,496 Posts
I get a thumbs up and a "nice tail section!"...this as I'm heading TOWARD people!

First comment in a parking lot conversation...."nice tail section, what kind of bike is it?"

My non motorcyclist neighbor...."I don't know what you did, but it looks SO much better!"

Enough already, I killed the tail section humor attempts a week ago. :grin2:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
I get a thumbs up and a "nice tail section!"...this as I'm heading TOWARD people!

First comment in a parking lot conversation...."nice tail section, what kind of bike is it?"

My non motorcyclist neighbor...."I don't know what you did, but it looks SO much better!"

Enough already, I killed the tail section humor attempts a week ago. :grin2:

You forgot...

Fellow Rider from Florida: "Looks like it's missing something."

>:)

·
Super Moderator
14,496 Posts
A contrast....the VFR handily wins the highway go-to. Understandable, predictable, not surprising...Honda designed a different tool, the other end of sport/touring.
However, doing my backroads loop...I remember it as a workout. Where the CBR shines.

VFR needed an oil change, tire pressures and fresh fuel. Upcoming cooler weather it'll be getting the key more often.

·
Super Moderator
14,496 Posts
Thinking about the previous post....a near perfect (Honda) garage would include both the little CBR and a VFR.

The CBR for backroads agility, VFR for out and out comfort and mile eating highway capability. Each clearly different and very capable in its intended environment.

Owning the CBR a couple of weeks now another attribute has become evident....STEALTH. Very quiet, not sonically intimidating at all....even at speed under throttle. I really like the quiet, near "sneaky" quality of this thing.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thinking about the previous post....a near perfect (Honda) garage would include both the little CBR and a VFR.

The CBR for backroads agility, VFR for out and out comfort and mile eating highway capability. Each clearly different and very capable in its intended environment.

Owning the CBR a couple of weeks now another attribute has become evident....STEALTH. Very quiet, not sonically intimidating at all....even at speed under throttle. I really like the quiet, near "sneaky" quality of this thing.
The VFR is simply the Goldilocks in the lineup. For mile-munching (and keeping with Honda), we need a GoldWing. :smile2:

·
Super Moderator
14,496 Posts
Undeniably Honda built and refined the best ever all out touring rig, but the Goldwing clearly does not fit at all into the subject "sport-touring" context...respectfully disqualified within that regard.

Owning all 3? ....the Honda dream garage...'Wing, VFR AND CBR? ALL conceivable bases would be covered, however, in my case the 'Wing just not practical in regards to sheer size and weight, admittedly, I couldn't, nor would I be willing to...handle it.

A couple buds at my former work both have '18 model 'Wings....touring NY to Alaska this September. Wow. Clearly impressive.

Gotta respect Honda's long time commitment to all facets of motosport. Smart, shrewd design, R & D, manufacturing, marketing.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #114

I agree! All these CB owners on that forum are all into these aftermarket exhausts. That's fine if that's your thing. For me, a little grunt is nice but I love the way the stock exhaust sounds...nice and quiet!

I remember years ago, when my dad decided he wanted to ride. We found him a 1996 Suzuki VS800 Intruder. Great bike(s) but this one had some Vance & Hines pipes. I'd normally be leading when we rode together so I never really noticed the sound. One day, before he sold it, I took it out for a jaunt around the neighborhood. As I rode past some of the people out fixing up their lawns I started to notice how many would stop and stare at me.
Then it dawned on me...those pipes were SOOOO LOUD!!! I felt bad afterwards as I just didn't notice until I rode the thing. And I mean they had that high-pitch, extremely loud rumble.
Dad only had the bike a few months before he bought his new Harley so thank goodness we got rid of that noise pollution machine!

·
Super Moderator
14,496 Posts
Coincidentally rode today, guy with gutted pipes on a Harley....incredibly obnoxious on the over run, generally obnoxious everywhere. Totally reaffirms my attraction to the CBR "stealth" attribute.

·
Administrator
3,606 Posts
Coincidentally rode today, guy with gutted pipes on a Harley....incredibly obnoxious on the over run, generally obnoxious everywhere. Totally reaffirms my attraction to the CBR "stealth" attribute.
I know a few people myself who are generally obnoxious everywhere:laugh:. The only problem with a super quiet machine is animals. I once had a Celica that was really quiet and I hit so many animals I was seriously considering putting a sticker on the fender for each roadkill. Annoying with a car, a bigger problem on a bike, but if you don't venture out much after dark it shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
I know a few people myself who are generally obnoxious everywhere:laugh:. The only problem with a super quiet machine is animals. I once had a Celica that was really quiet and I hit so many animals I was seriously considering putting a sticker on the fender for each roadkill. Annoying with a car, a bigger problem on a bike, but if you don't venture out much after dark it shouldn't matter.

Don't get us wrong, the CB's are not like an electric motor quiet. Just doesn't throw off that, "Braaaaaap" sound.

As for animals, this was discussed on another site when a guy wanted to know a good place to mount his deer whistles on his motorcycle. Turns out from the EVIDENCE presented deer whistles are useless. Other members were posting scientific articles and most were in agreement that animals will run from noises that are outside of their habitat. Basically, an animals lives in an area and it KNOWS the noises. When it hears something that is not normal in that area (an engine) the "flight" kicks in.
In addition, most accident with vehicles are from already running animals that drivers/riders don't see until it's too late. One article mentions to always scan the roads AND sides when riding/driving and if you see something SLOW DOWN and beep your horn a few times.
Like the old stickers on the Harley owners helmets that say, "Loud Pipes Save Lives". That's pretty much been debunked as you won't hear the motorcycle coming but you'll hear it going. After that HD owner goes by how ya gonna hit him then?

·
Super Moderator
14,496 Posts
At my age, I choose riding daytime only. Very rare occasion when deer present at all, though I do keep my peepers open at all times on my favorite woodsy back roads routes.

Runners, dog walkers and road hogging bicyclists prevalent there. Always respectful, I slow, give plenty of room, go into stealth mode (pull in the clutch, close throttle) and wave, always getting waves back.

Don't want complaints from residents in the small incorporated villages I frequently ride in....on the contrary I'd prefer them to recognize me as responsible and respectful. Purposely going slow in these areas, I also give their village police a wave too. I want them to visually know me via repetition.

Back on highways...I've found occasion to lean on the CBR a bit. A time and a place for everything....hit the ton on an empty uphill section of highway today. Effortless, then slowed back down to sane riding speeds.

970 miles as of today. The thing is a blast.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
New Chain Lube???

Let me indulge y'all with a little story first...what it has to do with today? Who knows, but it could be something!

After my years with the US Army I got out and decided on college. I have an aunt in Kansas City that said I should come out there and go the college as she and my uncle had a guest house and offered it up to me. So, I'm out there attending school and one day, as I pulled out of the college parking lot after classes, I notice a green tree frog sitting on my rear outside mirror. Like an idiot I had my window down (Pontiac Fiero) and I figured to just drive off and the frog would jump off the mirror onto the ground. Instead, the frog jumps on my shoulder!

I pull over down the road, step out of the car trying to get the frog off my shoulder. Nope! He decides he wants a ride instead and jumps into the back of the Fiero. I push the seat up and try to get at him but can't find him. After a few minutes on the side of the road I think that MAYBE he got out somehow. So I get back in and drive off. A few minutes later...he jumps from nowhere onto my steering wheel!!!

I finally shoo him out of the car, get home and tell my aunt what happened. Now, you have to know my aunt...I adore her, she's awesome!!! But...she's been into Yoga for years and it is, literally, her religion. So she's a very "Earthly" person. She brings down this Yoga book and explains to me that, according to this "Yoga book" a frog represents good luck to humans.

Fast forward 20+ years to last night.

Getting ready for bed and notice a tiny frog in the living room. I tried to grab it but it was too fast. So I go to get my fish tank net that I use for geckos and whatnot. As I walk into the laundry room...ANOTHER big green tree frog is on the floor!!! WTF?!?! I get the net, get the tiny frog first, throw it outside, then go for the big one. I get him caught and get him outside. (The big green ones are...soft, FRAGILE, and injure almost at the slightest touch.) But nonetheless this MUST BE a good sign, right?!?!

Tonight after work I get home, mow the lawn then go to tackle the bike for a chain cleaning. I wheel the bike backwards, lift it on the stand, remove the chain guard and...

So what does this mean?!?! Did I just negate my good karma omen?!?!

***And try to clean frog parts out of your chain!!! Thank goodness for the Grunge Brush!!! :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
14,496 Posts
Without 2nd thought, now ramping it up, revving on the fun, nimble little 650. About 1200 (?) miles on it now. When doing my back road loops...very difficult to decide which bike gets the key.

101 - 120 of 155 Posts