Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,496 Posts
Whilst "self isolating" I'll take advantage of the time afforded to praise these 650 Honda models....such impressive reliability. The 650 forum conspicuously void of service related issues, they are far and few between and many of those present have, frankly, been self inflicted via poor repairs/mods, etc.

The usual include (understandable) 4-5 year old failed batteries, mod installation related owner "errors", outdoor storage/rain/ atmospheric related key/lock issues and such.

Almost non-existent are any engine internal, FI, fuel pump, coil/electrical related or ECU type genuine (of the non self induced type) fails.

We've come a long way from the 2-stroke bike constant fouling plugs, ignition point failures from the 70's.

Thank you, Mr. Soichiro Honda for your innovations and vision... and to those that have advanced it further onward.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thanks Ducatiman! Not so easy though...all vehicles brought in out of CA must have >7500 miles...I have seen some new 2018s for cheap, but I won't be able to register the motorcycle...🙅 Maybe someone will have an idea...

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
Thanks Ducatiman! Not so easy though...all vehicles brought in<from> out of CA must have >7500 miles....
Truth. One of our crazier vehicle laws. It doesn't matter how old the bike is either. It could be a 2000, or it could be a 1960. If it doesn't have 7500 miles on it, it is considered a "new" vehicle by DMV. If you try to register it, DMV will black flag it and you won't ever be able to register in CA.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
8K cool. I'm 1500 when put away in December. Itchin' to get out, soon it'll be.

Forgot to mention that I'm probably getting a new tire this week. My rear still has another 1,000 at least. But when I get close to the wear bars I like to replace. (Plus, the Nomar makes it an easy thing.)

Been looking at tires and I'm undecided. I know the Pilot 5's are all the rage but in Florida, I don't want to waste a higher $$$ tire on flat roads! Probably stick with the Shinko 009 Ravens. Or may go with my all-around good tire, the Continental Motion.

·
Super Moderator
14,496 Posts
Very end of last year, with just 1500 miles I picked up a nail in the rear of my Honda. I plugged it to keep air in over winter storage.
I'm not comfortable at all riding on an external type temporary plug.
So before riding this spring, I'll remove tire and use a permanent type "mushroom" patch/plug installed from the inside, from a Stop & Go brand kit. Affordable, reliable, safe fix to use the remaining tread on the stock tires. If the tires had higher mileage on them, I could justify replacing the set. Another year or so, Michelin or Metzeler it will be.
Weather will break here, won't be long.

·
Super Moderator
14,496 Posts
Gotta research the latest and greatest in an ever changing tire market, take advantage of timely sales and rebates. The current repair will offer me a time advantage to pounce at the right opportunity. Want to get my moneys worth outta the stock Dunlops first, wasteful to toss them at such low miles with so very little wear.

A couple personal tire observations:
ContiMotions seemed to go off, lose feel, traction at low miles ( a couple thou?) on my VFR, degraded very quickly from there.
Prompting replacement with Metzeler 7RR, which stick and perform well. Opted to put them on the newer Ducati 800 too. My illness then interrupted piling on miles in '18, as did the 650 purchase did in '19. So a limited tire report, best I can offer.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Gotta research the latest and greatest in an ever changing tire market, take advantage of timely sales and rebates. The current repair will offer me a time advantage to pounce at the right opportunity. Want to get my moneys worth outta the stock Dunlops first, wasteful to toss them at such low miles with so very little wear.

A couple personal tire observations:
ContiMotions seemed to go off, lose feel, traction at low miles ( a couple thou?) on my VFR, degraded very quickly from there.
Prompting replacement with Metzeler 7RR, which stick and perform well. Opted to put them on the newer Ducati 800 too. My illness then interrupted piling on miles in '18, as did the 650 purchase did in '19. So a limited tire report, best I can offer.

Problem is I do more flat road riding so the "chicken strips" are to be expected. That's where the Conti Motions come in great.
I did put those Shinko 009 Ravens on my Versys and really liked them, so I may go with that.

Then again, I've been doing a little reading and may try something I've never ran before just to see. Although I don't like wasting money on tires, for my CB...I'm willing to do that and try a few different brands/models. Again, with the Nomar, it makes it pretty easy to swap out a tire. So that means wearing one down quicker is no problem other than having to throw out some more $$$, but at least there's no mounting costs! :grin2:

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Gotta research the latest and greatest in an ever changing tire market, take advantage of timely sales and rebates...

Ordered a set of Dunlop Sportmax GP300's from Revzilla. $165 for a set!

Now, the stock tires are these Dunlop Sportmax 222's so I'm not too sure what the big difference is. But to be honest, in my type of Florida, flat roads riding...these stock tires have held up pretty decent!

So, for the price I paid for these new ones, I figured even if they don't last as long I'm not breaking the bank. I think these new tires may be a little "softer" so I'm not expecting too long of life. At the same time, according to Lemmy, these tires are comparable to the Conti Motions and maybe the Shinko's.

Time will tell.

·
Super Moderator
14,496 Posts
Ducatiman: 2002 VFR--VTEC yay or nay? Hold out for a 5th gen?
Sorry uconn, forgot to respond to this....but either VFR a super choice, provided PO was responsible and any charging system "difficulties" have been addressed The charging system...the one and only "weak link" in the VFR. Upgrade to a properly wired Mosfet....an affordable, reliable fix.

141 - 155 of 155 Posts