Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
weather should be perfect, just 68 forecast as the high out there tomorrow, dress appropriately, keep the mesh jacket on the hanger

Today detailed the 800, its gleaming, so do suggest wearing sunglasses. :wink2:

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
a remarkable day, we caught it all. Unbeknownst to me, member @Ruina had cooked up a muffler swap with member @willi777. I'm not really sure he knew that I knew Bill. Surprised, I suggested doing it on the way out there, his street address sounded very familiar......it was right on our back road route (avoiding the traffic within Hampton Bays)...same exact road I take.
I have been riding right by his house for years out there! So it was great to see him, we'll be going on future rides together, now i have his phone # and address.

Muffler swap goes without any issues...we go on our way out east....one of the group (of 6) a Suzuki SV650 fella breaks his clutch cable within the Village of Southampton. A bicycle shop open within walking distance, 2 employees incredibly helpful hooked us up with a long bicycle cable and a clamp type barrel end, a 2.5mm allen and 8mm std wrench...i was able to removed the broken inner cable, thread in the bicycle inner cable, cut to length and secure both ends properly using the barrel end....even adjusting his engagement point to quite acceptable. Delayed us all a couple hours...but he was able to resume the abbreviated ride with the group. I'm confident he'll make it home to Brooklyn without issue, too with a functioning, though lighter duty, repaired clutch cable. The luckiest biker on the East Coast today.

Edited to add....confirmed he made it home to Brooklyn, bicycle cable repair working fine.

Later, we hit 2 epic Hamptons traffic jams, both later in the afternoon. Note to self....super early start out there during summer season!

I'm so glad I opted to take the comfortable VFR rather than the SS800.

A good, though trying, long day. A cup o' tea at home, knocked me right out for a nap.

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
outstanding weather...easily in the top 10 days of the year. Here I am 67 YO , retired, a recent cancer survivor riding with kids less than 1/2 my age. Life is great...thanks for havin' me on the ride! All said and done, even with the breakdown delay...I had a great time too.

Here was the SS800 prepped, look at the frakkin' shine on that thing. But at my age I'm glad I opted for the comfy VFR on the drone to the Hamptons.

Next ride, @dmende0919....we'll get that promise realized. No crowd...just you and me...mano a mano on part of my twisty North Shore route....its real Ducati territory. I think it'll make an indelible impression on you.

Frankly, I'm lookin' forward to riding your ZX too. Sounded great and running fine Sunday.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
This upcoming Saturday June 15 looks to be another spectacular day (sunny, high of 75) .... @dmende0919.....what say you to a North Shore run?

Early lunch on me at the secret, waterview pizza shop too! Really nice location, picnic tables outside right next to parked bikes.

Note this ride will be (respectfully) closed to all others. I'm fulfilling a promise and want the Ducati to make a certain impression, with no concessions or diversions. I'm not placing any limitations...want freedom of full use of the roads, some no holds barred serious, aggressive cornering involved here, allows using the L twin torque. We're gonna rock it. A few miles to gain some "feel"...and he'll be in Ducati land.

First and only time another has ever ridden one o' my Ducs...I'll likely be pickin' the pickles I just shat outta my ass as I see him leaning. Statement perhaps a bit too descriptive, but kinda true. Count on pics and a report here, no doubt.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
"Note this ride will be (respectfully) closed to all others".

This became my motto when I became a racer. Only then did I notice how bad most street riders were. It came down to only my 2 sons (also Racers) or a very few well selected others. Tried to teach my Nephew once. "Just follow my line" and I look in the mirrors and see he's 4 feet off. " no I mean in my wheel track" same result. the he says but you went right to the the pavement edge, then back to the yellow line.
I gave up, as he had no Idea the the line I spoke of wasn't painted on the road.

FOG

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Though my focus is solely based on street riding, we all have our individual riding styles and preferences, use of lines, negotiating tactics in traffic...blah blah.

As David and I will be trading bikes at some point on this ride, I'd prefer to limit outside influences, at least where within our control.

Just 2 of us, affording plenty of forward/back room between us, enabling full, unimpeded use of our chosen individual lines is precisely part of my thinking. Hopefully traffic will be of minimal interference.

Just want to add this ride and intended tactics not to be interpreted to enable any form of "street racing"....I'd like to think we're both mature, capable riders and know better than to pull stupid stuff.

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Did the mansion run this morning....107 miles And the old carbed 900SS delivered 52 MPG. Beautiful morning out there on the bay and ocean area of Southampton. :grin2:

Got my expired county parks "green card" updated, I'm a senior citizen, btw. :surprise:

Upon riding slowly towards exit a uniformed Parks Ranger commented "nice bike!" :wink2:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Solo 155 mile round trip out to Montauk Point lighthouse this early morning. Chose the dreaded major highway both there and back...on the road at 6:45AM, home by 11:30AM. Did a bit of trail walking out there, wonderfully cool temp.

Coming home, of course the legendary Hamptons traffic bit me. Hey, 30mph in a 55mph zone? Why? I asked for it not taking the back roads.

I usually subject myself to this once per year. Really nice out there, though, the 900SS did great as expected.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Sooo.....I gotta ask, did the ride with @dmende0919 happen or.......???? Was looking forward to his impressions of the "red" side. :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Weather and scheduling conflicts to this point. We'll get there.

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
another 150 on my old 900 today...pics..."the end of the road", yes, it IS the Hamptons, pizza and Snapple early lunch at Astro pizza in Amagansett

Early up and out...also hit Gerard Drive Beach in Springs, Sag Harbor, Cedar Point Park....Hampton villages were incredibly busy, vibrant, tons of bicyclists, walkers, runners, traffic in town. Great to be alive, a fun ride. Amazingly, traffic not bad at all on my early swing home.

Hey, if I can do a couple of 150+ days within a week, fair to say I'm back in good riding shape again.

and remember.....Clean Carbs Matter

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well, I finally got to take ducatiman up on his offer to ride the SS800. The ride was about 140 miles including my trip out to Long Island. There were some great turns and straights for me to get a feeling for the bike. Here's a summary of my observations

Bikes:
1998 Kawasaki Zx7r
2007 Ducati SS800

It's definitely a different experience compared to my Zx7r. For starters, the duc is over 100 lbs lighter. When setting up for a corner you don't have to muscle the bike into position. There's not as much input required to change your line mid turn.

Initially, it was odd to keep the bike in a specific RPM range. The SS800's motor really shines above 3000rpm! The torque was no joke.

The riding position was comfortable, it was not as race orientated as the zx7r.

One thing that really stood out to me was the feeling of the gearbox. Each gear clicked into place with a satisfying clunk. I often find myself hitting a false neutral between first and second on the zx7, I probably need to adjust the angle of the shifter.

The brakes felt great. The bite was stronger than that of the Zx7r in fact, it actually caught me off guard a few times.

All in all, it was a great experience thanks to Ducatiman for trusting me with the SS800.

I've included a few photos of the ride below.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
And I equally appreciate your trusting me on the ZX.

A fun ride, thankfully early AM....was it my imagination or were we repeatedly following dozing SUV's yesterday?
On way home I had a SUV doing 20 in a 30 hitting his brakes on straightaways.....no one on the road in front of him. Also, heat became a factor later on.

My thoughts on the ZX
*fantastic power curve (no surprise there...very successful carb work!) :wink2:
*comparative weight was evident (ditto)
*clutch, gearbox, brakes,suspension all competent
*tires excellent resulting in cornering confidence, though slower steering response (weight differential) requiring some forward thinking. This became quite obvious when changing lines playing "dodge the pothole"...the Duc reacts instantly with very little physical input...the ZX wants a bit of a push.
*considering my age....the expected Ricky Racer riding position offered slightly less legroom than the Duc, and forward lean clearly not for me, though not any more comfortable nor worse than the 800. :frown2:

It was fun, 2 very able bikes were severely limited by outside influences (speed limits, traffic), though we were able to open up in certain areas while being respectful to one anothers' properties.

*****************************************************************************************
I'm resigned to somehow significantly raise the clip-ons on the 800...I'm not comfortable living with it as-is, the current wrist down riding position ruining what could be a quite comfortable stance. As there are fairing clearance issues involved....a great '19-'20 winter project. (Ouch, sorry for even bringing up the W word, folks!) :surprise:

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Well, I finally got to take ducatiman up on his offer to ride the SS800. The ride was about 140 miles including my trip out to Long Island. There were some great turns and straights for me to get a feeling for the bike. Here's a summary of my observations

Bikes:
1998 Kawasaki Zx7r
2007 Ducati SS800

It's definitely a different experience compared to my Zx7r. For starters, the duc is over 100 lbs lighter. When setting up for a corner you don't have to muscle the bike into position. There's not as much input required to change your line mid turn.

Initially, it was odd to keep the bike in a specific RPM range. The SS800's motor really shines above 3000rpm! The torque was no joke.

The riding position was comfortable, it was not as race orientated as the zx7r.

One thing that really stood out to me was the feeling of the gearbox. Each gear clicked into place with a satisfying clunk. I often find myself hitting a false neutral between first and second on the zx7, I probably need to adjust the angle of the shifter.

The brakes felt great. The bite was stronger than that of the Zx7r in fact, it actually caught me off guard a few times.

All in all, it was a great experience thanks to Ducatiman for trusting me with the SS800.

I've included a few photos of the ride below.

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the "late" model Supersport with us. I know, just from trying them on for size in show rooms back in the day, that they were a more committed riding position than the older "early" model Supersports.

As I once owned a ZX-7, I was interested to see what your thoughts were on the differences. Pretty much what I was expecting your thoughts to be, honestly. To be honest, I thought my ZX-7 was probably the most comfortable sports bike I've ever owned. Has the GSXR of the same era beaten, hands down in that department.

As for the false neutral, that was common on the ZX-7. I tried a Factory-Pro shift kit on mine. It improved things somewhat.It still wasn't perfect but the false neutrals were reduced significantly.

I'd only find it once and a while between 1st and 2nd. It didn't do much for the one between 4th and 5th when hard on the throttle though, nor the one between 4th and 3rd on rapid down shifts.

It was easy enough to avoid the 4th to 3rd falsie by slowing down my down shifts and being more deliberate. It was mostly unavoidable before the shift kit.

Glad you enjoyed your time on the Supersport though. Aside from comparisons to the ZX-7, did it open your eyes to anything "Ducati" that you hadn't considered before? ........sean

·
Registered
127 Posts
I appreciate you sharing your thoughts on the "late" model Supersport with us. I know, just from trying them on for size in show rooms back in the day, that they were a more committed riding position than the older "early" model Supersports.

As I once owned a ZX-7, I was interested to see what your thoughts were on the differences. Pretty much what I was expecting your thoughts to be, honestly. To be honest, I thought my ZX-7 was probably the most comfortable sports bike I've ever owned. Has the GSXR of the same era beaten, hands down in that department.

As for the false neutral, that was common on the ZX-7. I tried a Factory-Pro shift kit on mine. It improved things somewhat.It still wasn't perfect but the false neutrals were reduced significantly.

I'd only find it once and a while between 1st and 2nd. It didn't do much for the one between 4th and 5th when hard on the throttle though, nor the one between 4th and 3rd on rapid down shifts.

It was easy enough to avoid the 4th to 3rd falsie by slowing down my down shifts and being more deliberate. It was mostly unavoidable before the shift kit.

Glad you enjoyed your time on the Supersport though. Aside from comparisons to the ZX-7, did it open your eyes to anything "Ducati" that you hadn't considered before? ........sean

Well, in the future I would definitely like to have a Hypermotard. I had the opportunity to ride one 2 years ago at a demo event. It was a blast! Ducati's L-twin is a perfect match for a supermoto style motorcycle. Riding the SS800 somewhat reminded me of that experience.

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
did approx 130 miles this morning to Shinnecock Inlet on the 900 .....so much cooler out there....a ton of activity....fishermen on the jetty, in boats, swimmers, beach goers.

The comfortable riding position of the go-to 900 allows to pile on miles...the 800 not so friendly. I'm committed to alter that in the future.

Pic.....when commuting from NYC to the Hamptons.....some simply use the helicopter.....so much quicker. There is a helipad on the opposite side of the inlet ....actually part of my frequent "Mansion run". Lady at the park was namedropping those using the helipad....Kardashians, Woody Allen, M Jagger...on and on.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Forgot to add.....over the last few rides...the obligatory after ride oil checks have revealed no discernable burning of any oil.
At 25 year old nearing 36K on the clock I'm concerned and carefully monitoring as it does get "leaned on" in certain safe spots and areas, effortlessly cruising at 80+ or more on occasion.

I'm thoroughly impressed with this dependable, super reliable, simple, easy to maintain lump of a powerplant. Not to even mention its overall agility and stability, superb braking, relative comfort in a supersport package... all attributable to its overall fun factor.

No surprise why my "go to" IS my go to....consistently getting the key in the ignition.

·
Super Moderator
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Did the mansion run on the Honda this morning complete with the obligatory Hamptons traffic jam between Hampton Bays and Southampton villages...the entire way stop and go....I opted to use "alternate measures".

Once at the park ,walked the entire jetty from the bay side to ocean side, great exercise, fun, strong cool breeze, birds, campers, fisherman, boaters. Wow active. :surprise:

Around 105 miles added to the Honda odo. Its quite stable at speed, less prone to sidewinds than the slab side Ducati. The different nature of this engine has me going for a 7th gear as I'm more accustomed to the lower revving L twin. Not that its bad...just different. Was able to do "the ton" at a certain area, cruising 75-80
on open major highway. :wink2:

Nice morning trip, aside from all the folks giving thumbs down, yelling "tail section!" :grin2:

Attachments

21 - 40 of 45 Posts