Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen adjustable spanner wrenches before, but I can't find any at my local bike shop or hardware store. They only have the fixed kind, but the packaging makes it hard to just eyeball the fit and the sales guy wasn't too keen on me actually opening the package(s) to try it. Anyone know the proper size spanner for adjusting the rear shock on an '06 500?

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Spanner or no, you'll have to remove the shock from the bike to adjust it. Once off, a pair of water pump pliers will work. Don't try to grip the outside of the ring but grip the ring using the available notches, several notches apart. I've had success with this method.

Adjusting tip: Before to remove the shock, measure the "free sag", bike by itself, no rider, movement from topped out to settled with weight, at the axle. That should be a small amount, up to 1/4", as little as just zero. With the notoriously soft springs on these, you can probably lean towards the zero end of the range with benefit.

Once you know that number, you have a sense of what change, if any, is called for. Note the desired change. Now remove the shock and before to move anything, measure the length of the spring as it's already compressed by the nuts. Note this.

Now, calculate the desired change using a 2.85:1 ratio. The height change at the wheel will be about 2.85 X the change at the shock due to the linkage ratio. Example: A desired change of 1/4" will require (.25" desired change, divided by 2.85 ratio=.087") or nominally 3/32" additional compression/pre-load at the spring. Compress the spring that additional amount from the original setting. On re-assembly, re-measure the free sag to verify what you've done. It should fall right in. If not, you should have a sense of what additional tweeking will be required from your data. Hope that helps.

Edited last paragraph: Originally posted the above 2.85 ratio as 3.5. Discovered the error when I was checking my old notes for another thread. The 3.5 ratio is actually for calculating linkage length for ride height adjustments, not spring pre-load. They are connected at different points in the linkage, therefore the different ratios. Sorry for my erring memory. ;)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts