Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I broke off the bottom half of the plastic cap of one of the spark plug wires when I was trying to remove it from the plug it was attached to. With cars I remember having to buy an entire set of spark plugs, but looking on ron ayers it looks like you can even buy just the cap (part 21130-1068). Should I just replace the cap or should I replace the entire wire? Is there ever a reason to swap out spark plug wires for new ones assuming there is no obvious damage the the existing wires?

Also what's the deal with the spark plug connection on these bikes? The top of the plugs have a threaded post which a nobby connector usually screws onto, which allows the spark plug to click into place. On these bikes the threaded post is left bar, and the spark plug wire is pushed over the threaded post? Seems like a pretty sketchy electrical connection to me.

Eric

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Yes just replace the cap. If you don't use an OEM replacement be SURE the cap you use has a 5ohm resistor in it. Trim a quarter of an inch off the end of the cable before you install the new cap.

The cap has a spring clip inside to make connection to the bare plug. It has been working for most of a hundred years now... I don't see any reason to try to re-invent the plug cap... but feel free to do so if you desire.

Feel free to use Accell or MSD wires. Just don't expect any performance gain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I replaced my plugs/wires/caps at the beginning of the season. I found it to be just easier to get a set of the wires/caps from ebay already predone rather than getting the individual parts and doing it myself.

Found the guy that I got it from: http://stores.ebay.com/Recreational-Performance-Products

I got them on sale (~$12), probably because it was winter. :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I already purchased a set from him. A set of quality wires with NGK caps for $17 is a better then just an OEM cap for $17.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
You didn't mention the age of your bike, but if it is an older one I would replace the wires and caps, it isn't too expensive. As mentioned above, it isn't going to help with performance to buy Accel or Dyna stuff but it does look cool!

Also already mentioned; the right resistor is something you want to be sure of.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Caps cost like $3, and you can usually buy plug wire in any length (the dealers usually have a roll they cut for you). Takes all of three minutes to assemble the new cap/wire. It's cheaper than buying premade and it's very simple to do.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Instead of starting a new thread, I'm bring this one back from the dead.

I'm changing the plug wires/caps. My question is what's the deal w/the plastic connector that connects the plugs to the coil? I unscrewed the threaded cap that holds the plug into the coil and pulled out this plastic piece, a connector of sorts. Should I be able to pull that connector off the old plug and reuse it, or just purchase a new set? Thanks!

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
tp555 said:
Why is the 5 ohm cap important? I am learning the ropes on the 500.
Read my piece "Sparks and such" Sticky in the FRI section.

FOG

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bump. Anyone know?! Thanks!

NaturalHoosier said:

I'm changing the plug wires/caps. My question is what's the deal w/the plastic connector that connects the plugs to the coil? I unscrewed the threaded cap that holds the plug into the coil and pulled out this plastic piece, a connector of sorts. Should I be able to pull that connector off the old plug and reuse it, or just purchase a new set? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
NaturalHoosier said:
Bump. Anyone know?! Thanks!

NaturalHoosier said:

What are you talking about?
http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm...nja_500R/GroupID/125739/Group/Ignition_System

·
Registered
57 Posts
When you unscrew the cap and pull the plug wire out of the coil, there's a connector that connects the wire to the coil.

I'll take a pic tomorrow and post it up so you can get a better visual of whta i"m referring to. The fiche link provided above doesn't really show it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Here are three pics of the plug wire. You'll notice the plastic connector I'm referring to. W/out it, the plug wire just slides right out of the threaded cap.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
It's called a Collett. It's job is to compress onto the wire as the Nut is tightned to hold is securley in place. As you discovered.

FOG

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Are you refering to the round clip that fits inside the cap at the coil?

That is what holds the wire in place. If you have already lost it you can substitute a stout Oring.

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
Ferrule is acceptable. although they are usually a one time use Item. Once compressed that stay that way. Where as a collett expands when released to free the wire.

FOG

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is a Collett or Ferrule (two things I've never heard of before) something I can pick up at Ronayers? Or a Kawasaki dealer? Like I've said, I've never heard of it before. Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
You can make a serviceable replacement (ferrule) with a few turns of tape in the spot the angles of the nut will tighten it.

FOG

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
NaturalHoosier said:
Is a Collett or Ferrule (two things I've never heard of before) something I can pick up at Ronayers? Or a Kawasaki dealer?
If you say either of those words to a dealer, they're going to think you're referring to European GP rider's names.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts