Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

What spark plugs do I need to get for a '96 EX500? How many and where would I buy them?

Also, any guides on installing them?

total noob to bikes here.

Thanks.

R

·
0 Posts
How many cylinders is your bike? That will tell you how many :)

I don't have my manual, but it's two NGK spark plugs for OEM. That's all I run, and it's all you realy need. Cost's 5 bucks.

To install:

Lift off tank.
Remove spark plug caps.
Use a can of compressed air and blast all the dirt out before removing plugs - don't let the dirt get in your engine..
Use spark plug socket to remove the old plugs.
Insert new plugs.
Place caps back on.
Replace tank.
Test engine!
Enjoy increased fuel economy :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Manual calls for NGK DR9EA's...stick to stock and don't waste your money on the iridium's...i have them in my car and they didn't make a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
417 Posts
you also can use d7ea, but it is recommended to use the d9ea's because they burn hotter.

You might not have to take you tank off if you have the right tools.

SO GO:

Go to a local shop an pick them up.

Get the NGK = D9EA

Remove the caps on your old plugs.

Remove the spark plugs with a (18mm).

Blow out the dirt.

Make shore you gap the new plugs before you put them in. If I can remember it should be at (28).

Make shore you take off the little nipple thing on the end of the spark plug.

Then just put the new one in.

An put you plug wires back on.

Then enjoy.

That is about the time you should ever ask this again...lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the advice. I'll pick some up next week and hopefully my Clymer's manual will be delivered.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Suck out the dirt before you take out the old plugs so that there's less to fall into the engine when you do take them out. Use a smaller diameter flexible hose to get in there.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
A trick I used in the old days before I had a air compressor was to loosen the plugs a lot. then reconnect the wires and start the engine at Idle, the leakiong compression gas would blow out the dirt. Never tried it on an EX though.

FOG

·
Registered
496 Posts
I was at the local dealer just recently, and when i told him i need plugs for a 96 ninja 500, he asks "how many?" i was like wtf? i wasn't sure how to take him, still haven't figured why he asked that, seeing as how he knows its a 2 cyl.

but yea, i know it wasn't initially for me, but thanks for the spark plug info.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
You may have wanted several sets....right?

FOG

·
Registered
23 Posts
shorty4444 said:
you also can use d7ea, but it is recommended to use the d9ea's because they burn hotter.
This just may be how you typed it that doesn't sound right...but I will add for the fun of it.

NGK 9 is COLDER than 7.

Use the D(R)9EA's as they burn colder!

·
Registered
440 Posts
FOG said:
A trick I used in the old days before I had a air compressor was to loosen the plugs a lot. then reconnect the wires and start the engine at Idle, the leakiong compression gas would blow out the dirt. Never tried it on an EX though.
Probably not the best idea to do this on an aluminum head with these small plugs. It might trash the threads.

·
Registered
496 Posts
FOG, i just did that. I was impatient, and did the plugs in my parking lot. I've done exactly what you said before on my cars. works fine. no dirt in the holes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts