Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started to check into getting something small for a tach and speedometer. something like this one below : small and round if it has the idiot lights included in there it's even better. I keep on seeing that they have different ratios(1:1 or 2.1:1...) Can anyone explain what does the ratio mean and let me know what do I need ? I'd need it graded in km/h too..

If anyone knows a motorcycle model I could get a used one off of, please point me in the proper direction. Less mods money = more gas money ;D

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
I like that tach, maybe I'll get one if I can figure out what exactly I need.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just a warning, the JCWhitney tach is mechanically driven, not sure on the 1st gens, but the 2nd gens are electrically driven. I had to return it because of that reason, although I was able to find a tach on eBay that matched the speedo.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1st gen are electrically driven as well :)

What was the ratio of the speedometer you got a.lee.hagen ?

I think I'm going to look at motorcycles scrapyards to see if I could find something with integrated oil light and neutral indicators. Temp meter would be great too..

=> dragknee <=: Glad to see the Acewell is working right :) I am looking for something that would be just like the rest of my ride : Bullet Proof. Do you think yours would be up to the challenge ?

=> NickD <=: Does the KZ have an electronically driven tach too ? Do you think swapping the speedo and tach from one would be a thrifty option ?

Or anyone have feedback on this one ? It's more pricey though(170$ Canadian) :-\

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
checked google and the kawi forums, didn't find anything on the acewell 3915. Anyone heard about anything on this display or have a clue where I could look for more info ?

Found a review for the model dragknee got and posted in the proper thread already..

=> dragknee <=: Did you got trouble with the speedo being more inaccurate than the stock one ?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
KZ is a mechanical tach and speedo, I'm pretty sure. I'll try to check it if I'm over at dad's tomorrow, but I'm almost positive it's mechanical. I'm in the same boat trying to find a tach. I've got the speedo off an '80 Suzuki GS450L on there now, for reference.

·
Registered
12,313 Posts
the only trouble i had, was that it tells you to enter the wheel circumference in MM. but what it DOESNT tell you, is you want to enter the circumference of the TIRE not the wheel. it has a little chart of different wheel sizes, and tells you to enter that into the unit so it can determine your speed...

16 inch wheel = 1277 mm circumference (~ 50 inches)

and that would be all fine and good if you didnt have a tire on the front, and were just running on the rim...

i went here (i think)

http://www.csgnetwork.com/tireinfo4calc.html

and entered my information. then took the info from the circumference of the tire and put it into the acewell, and it corrected my speed.

i knew something was wrong when it said i was going like 45 on the freeway lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts