Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of a sudden while riding the speedomter stops working (and the odometer). I did a quick check but I'm not sure what to look for. Anyone got any ideas? It was working fine then all of a sudden...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Is the cable connected on both sides? Unscrew the cable from the front wheel and see if the center spins freely.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what cable? Im like completey new to this...so idk what or where the cable your talking about is?

R

·
0 Posts
There is a black cable that goes from the back of your speedo, down to the wheel. There are only two cables that run down your fork - the brake cable, which obviously runs into the brake caliper, and your speedo cable. Check to see it's screwed in tight to either end.

If it is, then it may have snapped internally, like mine did last spring. That means you need to take it off, and replace it. Costs about 15-20 bucks.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Sorry, yeah, Royson nailed the cable. It's pretty obvious - it goes into the speedo gear - a black circular object around the wheel hub. It's possible to unscrew it by hand. I don't know how you'd easily check for the cable being broken in the center - maybe hook the cable up to a drill and see if the speedo moves? I don't think you can easily turn it fast enough by hand fast enough to move the speedometer.

There's only three components involved - the "sender", the cable, and the actual gauge. Testing the cable with the drill would help eliminate the sender as being broken - and would narrow it down to either the cable or the gauge.

I'm guessing the cable's either come off or snapped internally.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Last year my speedo stopped working, all of a sudden. The cable had snapped (internally) clean in two. This is the most likely cause in my book.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Most of the time it unscrews itself with the vibrations. Or it get snapped by the disc locker you forgot to take off :-[

Make sure it's screwed tight and wont fall again. It could be pretty bad if it caught the wheel when falling out of place :-\

Getting some blue thread locker in there once it's screwed back in place, you wouldn't want to get that stuff in the cable ;)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright I just got in from work, but now its late. I'll check it out first thing in the AM. Hopefully it just came a loose and I wont have to buy a new cable.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
Quentin said:
Alright I just got in from work, but now its late. I'll check it out first thing in the AM. Hopefully it just came a loose and I wont have to buy a new cable.
if you do, they're dirt cheap. if it's come loose from the dash (as I personally suspect) it's sismple to remove the dash to gain access. all the screws and bolts that you look at when looking at the dash come out. bam. off.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^^thanks for all the help, I fixed it yesterday. It had come aloose underneath the dash. Had a lil trouble screwing it back in (didnt want to stay in) but now its in there nice and snug.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Don't forget the blue thread locker or it will eventually vibrate off again.

I

·
0 Posts
mine has come off under the dash twice in the 2 years ive owned it. now that i bought some thread locker for another project, its getting fixed right next time it comes undone!

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Mine came loose at the speedo to cable connection, the first day I had it (360 miles) so I reached up under the dash and reconnected it.

I should have put blue threadlock on it, but I thought it might be fun to see how long it takes to do it again! I did zip tie the cable to the fairing stay, so if it comes loose again it can't go very far.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts