Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to re-hash an old topic, but I got a few questions for the group, and you especially Royson...

1: What kind of saddle bags are those? Does the make/model make a difference?
2: I'm also looking to mount mine up on the tank like that, what should I look for in bags?
3: Did you have any problem with the mountings getting in the way of the gas cap?
4: How did you secure the bottoms of the bags?
5: How badly did the weight and placement affect the handling?
6: How is the tank bag secured in the midst of it all? Under, over, through the bags?
7: Assuming that the speed of light is constant, and that the gravitational mass of a black hole is directly proportional to the matter in flow around it, would you like a piece of toast? :)

Anyone else have ideas for saddle bags on a G1? I want to make it semi-sport touring, but on a budget.

Thanks all!

--Noob

Royson said:
If money comes through this winter, I'll be in the same shopping boat :)

The Corbin seat is what I really want to find, as the backrest they come with my fiance would love. Plus I can just take that off when booting around solo.

For my past season two-up touring, I had this set up.

Only photo I have unfortunately, but I shifted the saddle bags in front of me onto the tank, so my girl could sit on the back still. Took a full weekend trip like that with saddle bags and a tank bag. That managed to fit all the clothes and snorkel gear.

As for screens, I read the laminar ones offer slightly more wind protection, but otherwise none of them really make a difference?? For the long trips, that's something I'd definitely appreciate.

I'd be curious to know if anybody on here has put an accessory plug on their bike, like a cigarette lighter in a car? I'm hoping for some long-touring this coming season, and would want a spot to recharge my cell-phone since I plan to camp and would otherwise have no place to charge it. Anybody?
If anybody has, I'll create a different thread for the technicalities of how and where to put it!

And since we're talking touring in this thread, any of you use the cruise control options, such as throttle rocker, or real cruise control grips? I'd like to hear some suggestions there too.
http://www.throttlerocker.com/ That's the one I'm leaning towards because of it's simplicity.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
El cheapo modificacion : The top box

It takes about 5 minutes to put on/off if you are taking your time.
- 2 u-bolts (4 washers, 4 bolts + 4 nylon securing bolts)
- 4 bungee cords to be hooked on the standard hooks

Pretty cool for 30$

·
Registered
722 Posts
most tank bags are magnetic, and you have to remove them to access the gas cap, but don't forgot to replace them when you finish.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Frog, doesn't that box rock in the corners? I'd be worried about my load shifting back and forth.

I'm really looking to keep the back seat open for other uses, hence mounting the bags over the tanks.

I may just have to whip one of those up though. What length bungees do you use anyways? I wonder if they make zip straps or ratchet straps small enough to use with that... hmmmm....

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I have 2 C-clamps Holding it snug on the bike. They go around (over/under) the rear grab rail at an angle, each one on the top corner of the rail. And I've drilled 2 holes for each clamp so they bolt inside of it.

I have 4 little bungee cords (the kind with a ball on one side and a bungee loop hanging from it)
I've drilled 4 holes at the bottom and passed all 4 bungee loops through a washer and then through the bottom holes and attach them to the stock hooks.

It's very stable, it rides the 100 mile commute daily. 80 of those are on the highway.. The remaining are on town or on backcountry roads more suited for my 4x4 and a couple of railroad tracks. It doesn't budge.

Plus I can lock it ;D

R

·
0 Posts
alex182 said:
1: What kind of saddle bags are those? Does the make/model make a difference?
2: I'm also looking to mount mine up on the tank like that, what should I look for in bags?
3: Did you have any problem with the mountings getting in the way of the gas cap?
4: How did you secure the bottoms of the bags?
5: How badly did the weight and placement affect the handling?
6: How is the tank bag secured in the midst of it all? Under, over, through the bags?
7: Assuming that the speed of light is constant, and that the gravitational mass of a black hole is directly proportional to the matter in flow around it, would you like a piece of toast? :)
1) I know they're Joe Rocket bags, not sure what the exact name is - got them for 90 bucks at Royal Distributing's tent sale in Guelph. They have one each spring/fall. I think they're aroudn 150 regualrly though. If you search a few shops, you'll find a similar deal.
2) When I bought them, I didn't even think of such a use - but I'd look for something with really flexible mounting system - mine has straps in the middle, as well as straps on either end. So I was able to lay it over the tank, but also run the clips around the front under the fairing too for extra support.
3) I also had my tank bag ontop of the tank too, but once you take off the magnetic tank bag, the gas cap was free, no need to remove the saddle bags each time.
4) I didn't have the bottems secured, because the weight held them close to the tank. On any tight curves I took, I didn't notice any issues with them shifting, so long as the bags had even weight on each side.
5) The weight/placement only affected my U-Turns. Any other highway/city speed driving, twisty roads and such, didn't affect me in the slightest. I also rode two-up down a hilly, thick gravel road with all that on as well and it didn't bother me in the slightest!
6)The tank bag was secured via the magnets on it. I just slipped hte magnets around the saddle bag straps and I was fine.
7) I'd like some toast, but only lightly toasted. With nutella :)

If you're creative, I've found many ways to attach things! For two up trips, give the pillion a backpack with light things, with a similar set up to what I described above. You could also get a hard case too, as it hangs behind where the passeger sits.

If you're solo and really need to load up, get the front saddle bags, a larger tank bag, rear saddle bags, a tail bag, and a hard case like Frog described. Plus, you can hang things ontop of and below the saddle bags and tail bag. Quite a bit of room on this bike despite it's small size.

And if all else fails....get a VFR.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
That's thinking out of the box ;)

Where could I get that cooler rack in front ?

Is there a model that fits the 500 ?

lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow, they must have whacked up the preload on that! Do you think they just turn the whole thing over when they get to the Missisippi? LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts