Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a 2 day road trip in BC and had a great time. I made luggage rack to hold some Givi side cases so I could pack the gear needed to overnight.
The little EX is a blast on the twisty mountain roads!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Good pict and nice bike 8)

How did you do the rack ?

Welcome :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought some steel square tubing and angle iron and welded it together. It took 3 evenings of measuring, cutting and welding.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How about some pics of the racks. I have been wanting to do something similar to this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll post some more detailed pics as soon. The bike is so practical with the side cases I haven't had to drive my truck for a week now!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yeh I'm looking for some pics of how you did the bags too. I'm more looking for how you mounted the brackets to the rear subframe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are some more photos of the rack.

Photo 1 shows the attachment to the passenger foot peg mount.

Photo 2 shows the support bar used to connect the side racks. This is also useful for hooking bungee cords to.

Part II coming soon...

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Part II

Photo 3 shows the underside of the rack (sort of). You can see why the short stalk turn signals are needed. The space is pretty tight.
I used carriage head bolts to fit into the Givi mounting slots. You can just see the end of these bolts with the nuts on.

Photo 4 shows the same but on the right side of the bike. The Muzzy exhaust is pretty close to the underside of the case so I put some heat reflective material there to take care of that.

It is worth noting that split ring washers were used to keep the bolts from shaking loose. The mounts to the foot pegs also had these for the same reason.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Part III

Photo 5 shows how the rack mounts to the frame. You can see I used the attachment points for the stock bungee hooks. Blue locktite was used here when bolting the rack to the frame.

Photo 6 shows how I neglected to use the Give quick release mechanism. I just didn't have faith in that plastic hook engagement. I drilled four holes and used large 2" auto-body washers to dissipate the load on the inside of plastic case. Use nylock nuts on the bolts here to prevent premature case ejection...

And that is it! I may have mentioned earlier that both side racks are the same, just mirror images of each other. The total weight is about 12-15lbs including the cases.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Dood you are an effing friggin mo-fo genius!

I have been contemplating how to mount a set of hard cases without really modding the frame for almost a month, and then you come along with the simple solution that works. Thank you, and i hate you ;)...

Some questions though.

1: How easy is it to get the key into the key hole to open the rear seat?

2: Is it easy to remove the bags?

3: Where and how much were the bags bought from?

4: 12-15 lbs seems kinda heavy, the steel looks like 1x1" and I'm guessing 16g, could you have used 3/4 x 3/4", with a thinner wall, and used lighter angle iron? How much does it move around (flex) the way it is now?

5: Can you post a side picture of the frame without the bag on it?

6: Your chain guard looks bad ass too can you post a picture of that too?

Man like I said it looks incredible, nice job.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Derf,

1: It isn't easy to get the key in the seat release but it can be done.

2: To remove the cases from the rack takes about 5 minutes. To remove the racks from the bike also takes about 5 minutes. You can remove the racks from the bike with the cases attaches to save time.

3: I bought the cases in Canada for around $220 CAD which is too much. I have seen them advertised in the USA for around $120 USD.

4: I definitely overbuilt the racks. You could easily get away with 3/4"x3/4" angle. I did use 3/4" square as it matches the bike's frame tubing in size. The frame is rock solid with no flex at all. If you wanted to save more weight you could use 3/4" round tubing instead of square.

5: I will post a photo of the racks with out the cases in the next day or two...

6: Here's a pic of the chainguard. I've included a pic of my machined rearset as well:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts