Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
did you not read or understand the post above. your starter motor is running the wrong polarity you can check this easily remove the motor place in vice attach the positive wire to right terminal the negative to the left it will spin anti clockwise (wrong) now swap the wires it will rum clockwise (correct) there is no way to change the polarity while it is on the bike to positive earth as all the other stuff on the bike is negative earth. you have sort the motor out to turn the right way.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
did you not read or understand the post above. your starter motor is running the wrong polarity you can check this easily remove the motor place in vice attach the positive wire to right terminal the negative to the left it will spin anti clockwise (wrong) now swap the wires it will rum clockwise (correct) there is no way to change the polarity while it is on the bike to positive earth as all the other stuff on the bike is negative earth. you have sort the motor out to turn the right way.
Yes, I get that my motor is running in the incorrect polarity! I asked in my reply what I can do to sort the motor out? I've never had to do anything like this before!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Yes, I get that my motor is running in the incorrect polarity! I asked in my reply what I can do to sort the motor out? I've never had to do anything like this before!
Remove the starter motor from the engine.
Disassemble the starter motor.
Clean the brushes and commutator.
Reassemble the starter motor.
While the starter is off the motorcycle, apply voltage to the terminals with the polarity that they have already mentioned. If it turns to the right side, mount it on the bike. If it turns to the wrong side, take it apart again and see if you can turn the brush base 90 or 180 ° when mounting it, that's probably the problem.

I think @bpe or someone else on the forum went through something similar rebuilding a starter with an aftermarket repair kit, but I can't find the post.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Remove the starter motor from the engine.
Disassemble the starter motor.
Clean the brushes and commutator.
Reassemble the starter motor.
While the starter is off the motorcycle, apply voltage to the terminals with the polarity that they have already mentioned. If it turns to the right side, mount it on the bike. If it turns to the wrong side, take it apart again and see if you can turn the brush base 90 or 180 ° when mounting it, that's probably the problem.

I think @bpe or someone else on the forum went through something similar rebuilding a starter with an aftermarket repair kit, but I can't find the post.
I have found the other thread, there is some information about where the brushes should be, it says that 2 brush plate stamped R, which is the one I have, the brushes should be 12+ and 3-, but I can't for the life of me get it to fit in such a way, it'll only work in a way that it's 12+ and 9-. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
15,311 Posts

Reactions: jorge moros
21 - 27 of 27 Posts