Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there a go to brand or place to get sprockets and chain for a 97 500.

And Ive been reading certain post but a lot of them are from a while ago.

What the best recommendation for a person (me) who cummute usaully has me cruising around 70-80 I drive mostly high speed highways and streets but I also am in town alot. When on a major highway I cruise 80-100 and over if im hitting the throttle.

I just want a good balance but atm moment i feel like I do not have enough acceleration. ANY info is appreciated

·
Super Moderator
5,975 Posts
I use the RK chain & sprocket kits.

·
Super Moderator
5,975 Posts
The tooth count just drops down from 42 to 41 on the rear. No noticeable difference.

Edit: Actually I think the stock is 41 and the kit bumps it up to 42.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just put a DID xring chain in 109 links and cut it to 103. 104 length with the master running a 16-41 JT setup. Way overkill in my opinion but I'm guessing it'll be on the for a long, long , long time. Installed the stock size cogs but did get a 17 counter for a possible long highway excursion coming up in July. 650cc and down only bikes ride , riding to the Gap. I'm betting the 17 will drop the RPMS on the highway a significant amount.....drawing from past experience.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have to open it up on my day off but idk what on it right now. Just know it look like I needs to be replaced. When riding whether going to work or a friend house it’s consist of mostly freeway and highway very little city. I am heavy on the throttle honestly.
Right now the bike according to Waze GPS (gets my car speed perfect but bike is off anything from 5-10. Usually no more than 5mph diff.) is topping out at 105 -115. I don’t feel the acceleration to be too high. Although for the way I ride I feel I should go for a more top speed approach but I’m a newbie what do I know.
Wanted to learn to do wheelies but. . . It looks like it’s a big no no with this bike. (Correct me if I’m wrong.)

·
Registered
715 Posts
if you want to do wheelies buy a stunt bike :). no seriously small changes in gearing can help with your style and type of riding. providing you don't change either. shorter legs for city helps with the amount gear changes that need to be done. mostly open road and freeway longer legs help a bit. I use the all 5 rule for assessing the difference. stock gearing Gen 1 16in wheels. 5000rpm in 5th gear = 50mph. raising or lowering the gearing changes the rpm speed range. but not by much. too bigger changes moves these areas outside the comfort zone. if you change how and where you ride.

·
Registered
325 Posts
If you wanna wheelie, do as yorkie says and get a stunt bike, or even better, get a dirt bike. And practice your wheelies in the appropo place....a wheelie in front of 5-0 can land you with an unwanted performance award. Deemed to be stunting and it can you get you some free meals in County.

Any bike with a manual clutch can wheelie. I went to school in the 70's ( yes, i'm yet another old fart, and school was in the UK to boot, so rules were pretty relaxed at the time). One summer we had Drivers Ed on a motorcycle. It comprised of riding a DT-50 around the school playing fields. Every kid in front of me stalled, and I wasn't going to do the same. Too much gas, and too fast on the clutch release....up came the front wheel for about 12 inches, rode it about 4 feet or so before rolling off and coming back to 2 wheels again. Strangely, that class lasted just 1 afternoon....go figure.

To wheelie my VFR would take some clutch abuse. My Ducati lifts the front wheel on command just by accelerating harder than normal at certain revs....no clutch involved, just pure smooth torque creating the smoothest wheelies around.

Bottom line, most wheelies are punishing to bikes. Too many and you experience weakness and failures around clutches and certain gears. It's not kind to your bike. I definitely try to determine if a used bike I may be buying has belonged to someone who likes wheelies...I will walk run away from that deal as fast as I can.

Back to chains and sprocekts. JT make awesome sprockets. DID and RK make awesome chains. Ran a RK 'x' ring chain / JT sprocket combo on my 1200 Bandit for 25,000 miles. Commuted to work, cleaned and lubed every weekend. Chain was still like new after all that time. Sold the bike, I doubt the new owner is taking as much care. Adjusted just once in that entire time, for an initial stretch, nothing after that. Bike had decent power, good torque and fairly heavy. An EX chain will last forever with the same care.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK so I decided to go with JT sprockets with DID chain.
I guess it’s just not processing or it’s just because everyone has different opinions.

After putting over 2000 miles. I see how I like to ride.
I personally like top end more than torque or acceleration. Having the 500 I have the smallest bike in my group of friends. (Not trying to beat them or leaving them in the dust). Just want to be close to them or in the pack without sound like my bike bout to blow up lol
im usually on freeways high speed 85 and up and I feel comfortable cruising there but I want the best setup to hit 115 a lot smother.
As of right now my bike hit a 100 and it feels like it’s maxed out.

I been using gear commander and It looks like from what I’m looking for. A 18/41 setup seems like the way to go. If I’m just cruising at 80 on the freeway it’s keeping my rpm low at give or take 6500 in 5th. And it’s seems like I don’t lose much off the acceleration.

Anyone ran anything similar. Idk why this is such a hard choice or why Ikeep second guessing

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I’m in Jersey it just a lot of congestion. I do go to north jersey around my school where’s there twists and stuff like that but most of my time is on highway either commuting to and and from work or getting to where I have to go. Only time I really use the acceleration is at a light did stop or just hitting the throttle to move passed driver who I feel put me a risk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’m not trying to always hit but right now my bike hit 100 and struggle passed it although I gone passed a few times. I see how multiple people state they can hit that easily. So something tells me the sprockets could be set to keep my speed down idk since I’ve only owned for two months.

·
Super Moderator
14,710 Posts
instead of guessing....simply count the teeth on each sprocket to confirm what is on there. You can then determine if gearing changes/adjustments are in your best interest and if so, how far you want to go.

·
Registered
112 Posts
OK so I decided to go with JT sprockets with DID chain.
I guess it’s just not processing or it’s just because everyone has different opinions.

I been using gear commander and It looks like from what I’m looking for. A 18/41 setup seems like the way to go.

Anyone ran anything similar. Idk why this is such a hard choice or why I keep second guessing
I have just fitted a DID chain and JT sprockets 5 days ago.

My gearing is now 17/39 where previously it was 16/42.
There is quite a difference. The revs of the engine now suit the speeds I ride. Sometimes I felt like I was in the wrong gear for the corners - either too low or too high - but now it is much more suited to me.
It still does 100 if you want it to - I haven't tried for the Land Speed Record but I have been up to 100 briefly and although I know it will go faster I just didn't want to.
The revs sound 'about right' at my usual cruising speed. Yes you do lose a little bit of acceleration but it isn't vast, you will find on some corners you will have to use 2nd gear instead of 3rd etc but it suits me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts