Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 ex500d that won't turn over when I push the start button. If I jump the starter relay, it starts and runs fine. I've checked the sidestand switch by putting kickstand down with bike in gear. It died immediately. I checked the button and its got power. Battery is fully charged. I'm not experienced in using an ohm meter. Anyone have any suggestions on what to check next?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Button has power. Solenoid works. Button is either not transmitting power across the contacts, or there is an open wiring circuit between button and solenoid. That's easy to check: Use the continuity "beeper" fiunction on your volt meter and check the wire from start button to solenoid. Check the 30 amp fuse atop the solenoid? While in there, check all the fuses and connections at the fuse box. An application of Caig Deoxl T will improve and maintain all electrical connections.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
if the solenoid is getting activation power down the button wire (think it is the red/yellow one on US models) and the starter operates when the two thick wires are shorted across then it appear the solenoid has died.

·
Registered
854 Posts
You can check if the solenoid is activating because you will hear a click when you press the start button.

If you hear the click and the starter does not activate, the contacts in the solenoid have already died, you need to change it.

If you don't hear the click, there is probably an open circuit between the button and the solenoid.

This is valid only if you are 100% sure that 12v reaches the start button and when you press it, 12v goes to the solenoid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the bike running, pulled the clutch lever in, put it in gear and it died. Apparently my kickstand hadn't come all the way up. Would that mean the clutch safety switch is bad? I've checked everything else as suggested by forum members.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts