Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,556 Posts
I may be misunderstanding what is meant by "inner bearing".

Circle Electric blue Pattern Metal Auto part

The 3 barrels in the starter clutch don't spin with the flywheel. Centrifugal force moves them off their contact point once the flywheel gets going.

·
Registered
Kawasaki GPZ 500S 1988
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may be misunderstanding what is meant by "inner bearing".

View attachment 56759
The 3 barrels in the starter clutch don't spin with the flywheel. Centrifugal force moves them off their contact point once the flywheel gets going.
I mean the large bearing that goes into the clutch and that the barrels make contact with in the above picture. Should that large bearing be able to move independent of the gear?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
it's been a while since I had one apart but I think the answer your looking for is no. the sprocket bit is one unit otherwise how would gripping the centre turn the flywheel,

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,556 Posts
Automotive tire Wood Grey Beige Silver

Pics of the flywheel gear by itself.
Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Wood Wheel

While holding the flywheel gear with one hand in the same direction as any of the 3 above pics, the starter clutch ( or flywheel if it's still attached) should freely spin clockwise and lock and not spin when trying to spin counter clockwise.

·
Registered
Kawasaki GPZ 500S 1988
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
View attachment 56763
Pics of the flywheel gear by itself.
View attachment 56764

While holding the flywheel gear with one hand in the same direction as any of the 3 above pics, the starter clutch ( or flywheel if it's still attached) should freely spin clockwise and lock and not spin when trying to spin counter clockwise.
So I think I understood correctly.
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Alloy wheel Rim

The red and blue parts should not be able to spin independently?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts