Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2002 ex 500
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Really hope I’m doing something dumb. Did a carb rebuild, new plugs, and valve check..bike would start first attempt and ran prior to all maintenance I did.

went to start bike. Was about to turn over until it seemed like the battery died. I tried starting again and nothing.. so I plugged in a battery booster (noco eb40)

Kill switch is off, bike is in neutral, on side stand.. went to start and I’m just getting a single click from the battery when I push the starter. Is it just not enough power from battery to turn over or did I wear out my starter trying to start it successively? Any options ideas to get this started? Thanks!

·
Registered
2002 ex 500
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don’t know much at all about this stuff.. but I bypassed the solenoid with a screwdriver and it started to try to turn over.

I think it didn’t start because theres possible a kink in the fuel hose due to a fuel filter that’s a bit to large to fit lower down in carbs.

but.. does this mean I just need to replace the solenoid to get the bike to attempt to start with the button? I’m assuming this isn’t battery related if it attempted to start when bypassing the solenoid.. any feedback would be helpful. I haven’t been able to ride all week

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
If you hearing a clicking sound, then most likely the battery isn't charged.

·
Super Moderator
6,620 Posts
Except that it turned over when the solenoid was jumped. I think you're on the right track with the solenoid.

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
Except that it turned over when the solenoid was jumped. I think you're on the right track with the solenoid.
Missed that part, so it should be a bad solenoid.

I've had this happen few times, I keep spares in my shop now. They die without any warning ⚠⚠😜

·
Registered
2002 ex 500
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Anyone know if a 2009 ninja 250 has the same solenoid as 2002 500? I found one in my city parting out. I don’t wanna wait for shipping..

·
Registered
48 Posts
If it's found not to be the solenoid the starter might be the culprit - I've had a "sticky" starter that once and a while would not turn. If I rocked the motor a little it started right up. Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
Anyone know if a 2009 ninja 250 has the same solenoid as 2002 500? I found one in my city parting out. I don’t wanna wait for shipping..
Bring the old one with you and match it up. It should be either the same or close enough to get you rolling until you can order the proper one

·
Registered
2002 ex 500
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It appears to be the same part number unfortunately the seller doesn’t have it any longer. I posted on wanted, but does anyone in Canada or states have an extra solenoid they can express ship to me?

·
Registered
2002 ex 500
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bring the old one with you and match it up. It should be either the same or close enough to get you rolling until you can order the proper one
I found a 12v tractor solenoid potentially for the meantime. It seems like this will work? Offhand would this need any modifications? Reading in the forum it sounded like soldering was required when using a tractor solenoid.. but couldn’t I just take the existing connections from battery and plug them into this one?

·
Premium Member
3,792 Posts
It looks like it should just plug and play, just have to match up the wires to the new solenoid

Good luck 🤞

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
what about the harness feed on the red connector powered by the 30amp fuse on the old solenoid can't see one on that tractor thing.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
the 100amps is not an issue. as that is it's max rating not minimum a tractor battery is much bigger than a bike battery.
as for the connector unless you do a bodge job it won't work the bike doesn't take it's power from the battery but from the solenoid which is connected to the battery the red connector has all wires in it to run the bike. how you would connect them to a solenoid with no power take off interface. sorry no idea. except for a rewire of the whole power pickup via a 30amp line fuse and connectors but it would be a bodge job that would have to be redone when the proper solenoid was sourced.

·
Registered
2002 ex 500
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the 100amps is not an issue. as that is it's max rating not minimum a tractor battery is much bigger than a bike battery.
as for the connector unless you do a bodge job it won't work the bike doesn't take it's power from the battery but from the solenoid which is connected to the battery the red connector has all wires in it to run the bike. how you would connect them to a solenoid with no power take off interface. sorry no idea. except for a rewire of the whole power pickup via a 30amp line fuse and connectors but it would be a bodge job that would have to be redone when the proper solenoid was sourced.
yup,I realized about the100 amp thing right after I posted and then edited. That’s what I figure. I guess I’ll wait as I don’t want to mess with the wires and then have to rewire again to fit the proper solenoid

·
Super Moderator
6,620 Posts
If it's the same part number, that one from the 250 should work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts