Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll

Over the last 2 weeks ive been having issues with starting the bike... At first it would turn over (no issues there) but not even attempt to catch.. after a few tries it would start up and run without any issues (till you shut it down again)

SO after reading through various posts etc i had a friend (he used to run his own shop many many years ago ) help me tear down the bike and clean the carbs (As well as check plugs, fuel filters etc) reset everything (cleaned pilots and reset as well) and still have the problem.. BUT now to compound it, when you DO get it started it dies out if you give it any Throttle..

assuming everything went back together correctly, we figure its getting starved for gas when the throttle is opened.. (that would cover the issue when its running) however the initial problem of hard starting remains..

Basically we are looking for clues/ideas to both problems..

any ideas ?

Thanx.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hey that's my avatar!

If it's being starved for gas, you could adjust the pilot (idle/mixture) screws. Most people say the sweet spot is 2.5 turns, but I have an aftermarket exhaust and so I've been required to fine-tune based on how the bike has been acting.

Is your bike's exhaust stock or... ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha I was thinking that was my Avatar as well :p

The Pilot screws were set to 2.5 turns out.. bike is stock..

·
Registered
348 Posts
I changed my picture to avoid confusion ;)

Try giving it choke and see how it runs. And ride it with the choke on, if that smooths things out, I think that'll tell you that it's being starved for gas.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Dawg => Did you try to back flush your fuel line ?

It could be some junk clogging it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup lines have been flushed and checked.. as well as petcock..

Bike will usually not start tho appears to try to catch..

up till reciently when the bike did start it would run without any issue till you had to start it again..

now it will run up till you give it any gas..

pilot jets have been adjusted..

and ya it is an overused avatar.. time for a new one

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
pilot jets have been adjusted..

This statment says volumes, The pilot JETS are not adjustable I believe you have mistaken the Pilot Screws for the jets.

You must open the float bowls to acessthe pilot jets.

FOG

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha i did mean screws.. but Ya the carb was pulled off and the actual jets check for obstructions.. were going to pull it off again. gonna check that they were reinstalled and set correctly..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK.. so figured it all out.. kinda funny all in all..

so first time we took out the carbs we dissassembled one.. cleaned it then used the second one to make sure it was put back together correctly.. Now. all would have been fine.. BUT what we didnt realize is the first issue where the bike wouldnt start easily was caused by one of the Carbs being built wrong (needle valve was set on top of the spring cup) so we copied that over to the second Carb and nothing worked..

SO after assembling both the correct way.. all is now fixed and working fine..

whew.. hopefully that didn't confuse anyone..

Thanx..

Dawg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts