Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I've read the posts that steering dampers are not required with an EX, but...it is a requirement in the Southern California Timing Association and AMA Speed Trials rulebooks. I've got brackets installed (from fork to left side at coil) and a cheapie damper. Although even the longest cheapie damper I could find, is too short and won't swing far enough to hit the steering stops (another rulebook requirement). I'd have to spend two bills to get a damper long enough, which seems silly if I am going to leave it turned off. A member posted he used a Hyabusa damper and bracket kit (an expensive option via ebay), but I cannot get the photos to open and he hasn't responded to messages. Anyway, I am looking at ANY other options, and pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton and happy New Year.

·
Registered
345 Posts
When i raced one of these bikes, I had a Toby steering dampener. Best I could do this AM, no pictures.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response ridervfr...I appreciate it. Do you recall the attach points you used, or how long was the Toby damper and if you had movement to the OEM fork stops...? There are plenty of used Toby dampers on ebay to choose from...so that helps.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
You are still in Cali? OK, never mind. Can't mount a fork tube mount to in front of the steering head?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thanks for the response ridervfr...I appreciate it. Do you recall the attach points you used, or how long was the Toby damper and if you had movement to the OEM fork stops...? There are plenty of used Toby dampers on ebay to choose from...so that helps.
I wish I had pictures for you, but I do not, what I can tell you is that I did drill and use bolts, maybe nuts on the steering stops. Best I could do, thinking back 20 years. Good Luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I purchased a longer Toby damper yesterday, while the fork clamp is a given, where the damper attaches to the frame needs work. I think I'll play with the length of the bracket from the frame...see if I can get enough motion to hit the stops. If not, you are right...I may have to disassemble the steering head and drill and tap holes in the steering stops to create new stops. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts