Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would I go about removing the tank filling warning sticker, without scratching the tank, and the bike is 10 years old, how bad will it look after the sticker is off?

·
Registered
530 Posts
I took mine off by carefully using a fingernail. Came right up.. however, I did that the day I bought it. I don't know if it will be any harder for being old. You might try a bit of heat (from a hair dryer- and don't cook the paint) or WD-40 if it is difficult.

As for the paint, it will certainly have oxidized at a different rate than the rest of the bike. If it was garage kept, washed/waxed meticulously it might not be awful; but if it's been in direct sunlight it's entire life and not waxed a lot, you could have a very noticable spot of "fresh" paint vs. the rest of the bike.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Even if the paint is fresher under the sticker... the bike will look better than if the sticker was still there.

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
Warm the area with a Hair dryer.

FOG

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
Outwar said:
??? Will that even out the paint difference?
Well if you get it hot enough, yeah, all will be a nice even black.

FOG

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got about half of the sticker off, still having trouble. The good news is that the paint under the sticker looks the same as the rest of the tank.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How can I get it off ? It will not come off. I tried WD-40, I tried some flat tools, the only thing that works so far will scratch it up.

·
Registered
530 Posts
If you haven't tried the hair dryer.. that's the best solution to get it to come up. Don't worry too much about cooking the paint.. just keep it in mind, as small as that sticker is you should notice the glue softening up long before you cook the paint.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
i'm with you frog... this thread just feels so, oh... i don't know... unfinished? ;D

i got my decals off of my front fairing by using a hair dryer and a lot of patience. even then it left a lot of 18 year old glue residue to get off, which took a lot of elbow grease and wd-40.

so what happened? pictures?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts