Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you tired of those nasty old chrome or rusty storage hooks under your rear cowling? Do you tuck them back to hide their shame? Would you like to do something about them?

Here's perhaps one of the quickest and easiest ways to improve them greatly and make them look *better* than new.

Get $5.00. Sell a quart of blood if need be.

Hit the auto parts store for 3/16" rubber tubing. I bought a roll meant for windshield wiper washers. It really only matters that it's black and flexible.

Clean / derust the existing hooks. Clean off any residue.

Using liquid dishwashing soap, put a drop or two in one end of the hose and then start feeding it onto the hook. It will go on fairly easily if you keep twisting it back and forth. It should be able to go around the bends without too much effort.

Leave the area directly under the rear cowl clear or else the hooks won't be able to extend fully without hitting the cowl itself. Trim off the excess flush and you're done.

Cargo nets can have the same treatment for protecting the hooks. The rubber on rubber contact also helps reducce vibration.

It's a very quick and easy thing to do, but boy does it make a huge difference in the look. I'm not sure why OEM's don't have the hooks covered already from the factory.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Something else you could use with a little patience would be grip paint. It comes in a can and you can dip things in it - it's made for coating or recoating the grips on hand tools. Probably more expensive, but it comes in nifty colors, too :p.

I can't find a link to the stuff, but it comes in what looks kinda like a pop top Pringles can. I was going to coat my levers in the stuff for giggles.

BTW, great idea. I ditched mine because 1) they were starting to look like crap and 2) I was afraid they'd screw up the paint if I really used them much. This is a good workaround for sure.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Nice addition, I'll probably do it since I've lost one of the rubber nipples ;)

Thanks ;D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like it also because they are black and visually disappear. If you tuck them back, you don't see them at all. I'd rather do that instead of being out someplace when I need them and they aren't there anymore.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Looks good. As far as the cargo net, I remove the metal hooks and just hook the net direct to the bike's hooks. Easier on the paint and the net I have is almost too large anyway.

Sometimes I hook it an extra set of squares in from the edge, depending on my cargo net needs and/or general feeling towards bungees for that day. 8) ??? ;D

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
wow, seems like many people have removed them. my EX is missing it's hooks, anyone got a set they're willing to sell me? i don't need the aluminum part that holds them on, just the hook pieces themselves, and the 3 screws and tabs per side that hold the hook pieces to the mount.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
ERAU944 said:
wow, seems like many people have removed them. my EX is missing it's hooks, anyone got a set they're willing to sell me? i don't need the aluminum part that holds them on, just the hook pieces themselves, and the 3 screws and tabs per side that hold the hook pieces to the mount.
I wasn't refering to removing the hooks from the bike. I meant remove them from the net. They lay on the paint and can easily do damage.

·
Registered
145 Posts
dad said:
Looks good. As far as the cargo net, I remove the metal hooks and just hook the net direct to the bike's hooks. Easier on the paint and the net I have is almost too large anyway.
i wish i would have read this like 3 months ago
both sides of my back has scratches on it from cargo net hooks

·
Registered
496 Posts
i removed mine. i'd like to do the same for the worthless helmet locks (well, they work, but you will melt the helmet!!)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Yes, remove those helmet locks and relocate them to the passenger grab rail! Somebody else just posted recently, looked great and MUCH more useful. I did kinda the same thing, except mounted them on my RennSport rear luggage rack. Just be careful you don't wreck the screws taking them out 'cause they're held with Loctite.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
ahh i gotcha... i'd been using the hooks on the net (i had to) on the handgrabs under the fenders... i haven't used them that much, but it's far from ideal, and luckily i haven't got any paint scratches yet. hopefully i can find a pair of hooks for decently cheap.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Jsvob03 said:
i removed mine. i'd like to do the same for the worthless helmet locks (well, they work, but you will melt the helmet!!)
I just bought a looped cable from Kryptonite for $4.99, loop it through my helmet, and lock one end in the helmet lock. Hold the helmet down with a cargo net.

Edit: Oh yeah, I usually wear a backpack or use a tank bag. This isn't the best solution if you don't have somewhere to put a cable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts