Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know alot of the cracked fairing club are going the Streetfighter route. However, a lot of people don't like the exposed radiator fill and overflow bottles.

I was thinking that if your fairing isn't cracked on the wings going under the tank, you could cut it. That makes it look like ram air scoops. Then you could fab some brackets to mount the pieces to the bolts where the fairing instrument cluster normally mounts. add some screen material a new headlamp/instrument cluster call it a day.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Good concept, did you see it anywhere or did it yourself ?

So far, I like how mine looks

I've got recommended to paint the bottle black and leaving a strip unpainted to still be able to see the liquid level. Pretty good ideas all in all :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Frog said:
Good concept, did you see it anywhere or did it yourself ?

So far, I like how mine looks

I've got recommended to paint the bottle black and leaving a strip unpainted to still be able to see the liquid level. Pretty good ideas all in all :)
When/if you paint the bottle, make sure you wash it well and use an adhesion promoter and a paint formulated for plastic wither wise you will have poor results. You might get away without a adhesion promoter but it's cheap insurance.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Thanks for the tip :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
So if I'm understanding you correctly, your idea is something like they do with the dirt bikes. I think that would look pimp. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
One easy way to make something different is to first cover the side of the bike in foil then spray on some expanding insulation foam and start carving it into shape. Then just use some fleece fabric and epoxy to mold a sidepanel. Shouldn't be more then a days work and you could end up with something like whats on the KTM Superduke.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I chopped up my front fairing after joined the aformentioned club. Turned out pretty good after a lot of fiber glass and body filler, all covered up by some good quality paint. I am planning on making some pimp billet covers for coolant bottle and sides of the radiator, very much like the european ER model, which I think is super dope. That KTM also looks pimp though.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Where are the picts ?!

I can't see it ;D

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
The painted rims are great !

And the fairing is a pretty clean job from here ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nice looking custom bike, I like the front turn signals, what brand are they ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Both the front and rear turn signal lights are LP (Lockheart Phillips). You can't really see in those pics but the rears are triangle short stocks.

·
Registered
722 Posts
spider_kyle said:
Both the front and rear turn signal lights are LP (Lockheart Phillips). You can't really see in those pics but the rears are triangle short stocks.
those the plate lights, or something different?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts