Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My original mufflers are destroyed due to the time (rust and holes) and I want to buy new mufflers. I have 2 option
- straight pipe muffler
-universal muffler(like in the photo)
Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust Cylinder Nickel Bicycle part

Is anyone using this universal one ?
How it sound?

I heard that straight pipe muffler is very very loud on ex500 and law in my country only accept maximum of 96dB so I want something "legal"

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
The EX500 runs terribly with straight pipes. It needs some resistance ("back pressure") to run correctly. The muffler you show is OK, but you will need two of them - unless you have a 2-into1 header.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
come on bro, i'm sure it runs like crap, sounds like crap and is louder than crap but thats not why(41) Stop Saying Car Exhausts Need Back Pressure - YouTube
as sleepy joe would say "com'on man your kiddin me) typical made for utube vid enough said.

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
218 Posts
Seems to be a lot of options out there, more than 2 anyway. Those two options are bad and worse. Straight pipes on the 500 not only hurt performance but will make everyone angry behind you and beside you, and those that see you in their mirrors, so that is definitely in my opinion, the worse possible way to go for your bike. Not with standing you would have to wear hearing protection to enjoy riding it for more than a few minutes at a time.

On Flea Bay I bought a full system Dekevic in stainless steel and used the restrictors it came with. I installed mine with stock carb set up and made sure to tune/ dial in the carbs after the system was installed. I have also a similar mod to Fogs on the air box and a K&N filter. It runs smoothly throughout the throttle range and get 54 mpg. If rusting is an issue... stainless might be a good thing... For myself, I was leery to buy a full system however mine came with a 2 into one that was mangled and I could not find an OEM that was not completely rashed up from sliding wrong side down on the road. For 600.00 USD I sucked it up and bought the full system and can say I am not regretting too much doing that as the only thing I dislike is the increase in decibels over OEM stock system though much more quiet than the destroyed 2 into 1 I took off of it, so doing what I did for me was an improvement.

I think if you have a 2 into 1 system that universal muffler would work and work as good as anything else that has been done. Just guessing as that pic has one muffler, however even if you have stock headers I have seen and heard slip on's don't change enough to notice, so maybe it could be a thing.

I hope where you are, even if you must save up that you have more options than the two you mentioned, can find an improvement. Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seems to be a lot of options out there, more than 2 anyway. Those two options are bad and worse. Straight pipes on the 500 not only hurt performance but will make everyone angry behind you and beside you, and those that see you in their mirrors, so that is definitely in my opinion, the worse possible way to go for your bike. Not with standing you would have to wear hearing protection to enjoy riding it for more than a few minutes at a time.

On Flea Bay I bought a full system Dekevic in stainless steel and used the restrictors it came with. I installed mine with stock carb set up and made sure to tune/ dial in the carbs after the system was installed. I have also a similar mod to Fogs on the air box and a K&N filter. It runs smoothly throughout the throttle range and get 54 mpg. If rusting is an issue... stainless might be a good thing... For myself, I was leery to buy a full system however mine came with a 2 into one that was mangled and I could not find an OEM that was not completely rashed up from sliding wrong side down on the road. For 600.00 USD I sucked it up and bought the full system and can say I am not regretting too much doing that as the only thing I dislike is the increase in decibels over OEM stock system though much more quiet than the destroyed 2 into 1 I took off of it, so doing what I did for me was an improvement.

I think if you have a 2 into 1 system that universal muffler would work and work as good as anything else that has been done. Just guessing as that pic has one muffler, however even if you have stock headers I have seen and heard slip on's don't change enough to notice, so maybe it could be a thing.

I hope where you are, even if you must save up that you have more options than the two you mentioned, can find an improvement. Good luck.
I have stock 2 mufflers so i need to buy 2x everything
I have 3 options
Muffler from the photo 100USD,
50% streit pipe muffler ( I don't know to explain it)100USD
Or dedicated muffler "dominator" ( it is also 50% streit pipe) 300USD

Also I don't want so spend like 500USD on mufflers (500USD is half of good monthly salary in Poland)

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
218 Posts
Have you looked for used on Ebay? I know that seems redundant to ask because I have seen some stupid high prices for a lot of rashed parts on there but maybe even look under Vulcan EN500 exhaust on there too. It seems that stuff is better shape and cheaper with minimal modification should be pretty much bolt on.

Reactions: yorkie

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
the ER 500 also fits (providing you don't have a belly pan) got that one on the gen 2 (naked) there is a bracket near the can that needs cutting of with a grinder as it serves no purpose on the EX but it's a straight swap out. most (here) seem to be good as it is a right sided can, driving on the left most low siders are on the left hand side so doesn't effect the can so much. being in Poland could be worth a look.

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Registered
81 Posts
As referenced above I bought the exact pair from ebay for less than <$100 and it installs perfectly over the stock pipes There was no loss in performance that I notice. The only mod is creating a hanger for it.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
88 Posts
As referenced above I bought the exact pair from ebay for less than <$100 and it installs perfectly over the stock pipes There was no loss in performance that I notice. The only mod is creating a hanger for it.
View attachment 56005
Looks good. Nice clean modern look. I got a full vance & hines back in the day and it sounds like an airplane. Love it.

Attachments

·
Registered
691 Posts
If you use the "muffler from the photo" it will fit better if you use an 08-12 Ninja 250 link pipe... should then mount like the stock mufflers, but i haven't tried it first hand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts