Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's my turn. I've done the search thing, read a lot and now throw my self at the mercy of the forum. I believe this to be a fuel problem. The two things that I have done that may be effecting this is:
Fog airbox mod, pilots at 2.5 turns out.
Wakula sintered brass fuel filter.

Bike accelerates fine without a problem. Once you hit 7.5k and above it starts to stumble as if you are running out of fuel. Lower rpm all is well. I can't say that this has just started as quite frankly I never really ran that fast.

I didn't think that pilot adjustments made much difference at that rpm. How wrong am I?

I was wondering if anybody else with the Wakula filter may have a similar problem?

Bike gets 52 mpg running the four lane. So before I start playing, and hopefully not making anything worse, anybody care to offer an opinion? ???

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have you cleaned the carbs? If it is a fuel problem, it's probably dirty main jets because they have their biggest impact on fuel delivery at that RPM range. I would take a look at those carbs, specifically the mains, and clean them thoroughly before looking elsewhere. Might be an ignition problem as well...start by making sure the connections between your spark plugs and wires are clean and not corroded (just pull them off and clean with carb cleaner) too. There are plenty of explanations around to help you clean the carbs.

Good luck,
Ken

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess I need to do some more reading and educating myself. Out of frustration set pilots to spec. 1.5 out. No more stumble at 7.5k pulls strong all the way up into the 9's. Still playing. I need to make sure that I make only one change at a time and ride with it for awhile.

Well when parked it doesn't stumble but the tach pauses at 8k, and then takes off again fine to 10 k. Don't know why, maybe linkage. Went for 2 rides of aprox 90 miles, first one "sport" type 51.1 mpg, the second "touring" with some high speed runs on state high way, 56 mpg. I don't understand the logic of the change. I'll keep working on it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts