Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading in my local news that the police are really cracking down on vehicles, primarily motorcycles it would seem, that are driving at double the posted speeds on city streets.

In Ontario, we now have stunt driving laws which means exceeding posted limit by 50km or more or doing crazy stuff like wheelies on a busy street. Loss of license for 7 days then DUI insurance rates for the next 7 years plus a $2K fine and impounded vehicle. I would imagine similar laws exist elsewhere.

I love to ride curves at perhaps a faster rate but would suggest people confine this to a safe rural area with no traffic.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
We have some of the same here....though largely has passed on. What we get now really is people doing the same sort of stuff but on unlicensed off road type bikes and ATVs.

They "swarm" in groups of 100 or so and then ride down onto the freeway in busy parts of the Bay Area doing stunts and intimidating regular every day drivers.

Last time this happened, CHP helicopter followed a specific group, and tracked them to their homes. Arrests resulted but more to the point, they got names of others involved and there hasn't been too much of that since.

We don't have so much of that with cars....though there are "side shows" that take place in empty parking lots all over the state. Usually at a car meet.

Local PD has taken to breaking up the meets before any shenanigans can really get going....though there are still some. Due the injuries incurred, usually to bystanders; state and local agencies are applying the law to the fullest extent.

That said, we don't have any specific laws for stunting or stunt riding/driving. As for corners.....CHP usually patrols up by the lake on weekends and holidays, but on our side of the twisty stuff, the local Sheriff and even CHP are pretty cool as long as you're not riding like an ass.

If you're hauling it in the corners, they're not super strict unless you're knee down. If you're blasting along at 100+ on the straights, you're probably going to jail.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Cost of a wheelie ticket in Florida last time I checked was $1200, as well as probably catching a reckless driving charge.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think I'd contest the wheelie ticket. A wheelie is a specifically controlled maneuver when done right, the opposite of reckless, uncontrolled behavior.
Of course, the defense would be a little weak if just before being ticketed I managed to back flip. And it would probably cost a bit to bring in a
wheelie expert to testify; might need to set up a demo in the Court parking lot. Well... maybe better to not wheelie in public whilst in Florida, eh?

·
Super Moderator
6,552 Posts
The big thing in the 70's, at least in Southern California, was power braking. The ticket was for exhibition. Worse than a speeding ticket, but not as bad as reckless driving.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The people round here are smart, they are sure to wheelie on bikes that can outrun the police tahoes in seconds so they give up. I may or may not have dropped a gear and disappeared from a stationary tahoe while going about 95 in a 50. The lights came on, then immediately went off.

Not sure why but they got mostly Tahoes except for FHP who got chargers. Probably need the extra room to hold all the narcan for Pasco County. Locals know what I mean.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've met a number of police officers (male and female) who ride over the years and they all tell me the same thing. That their goal in traffic enforcement is not apprehensions but simply to make sure people are driving safely and not endangered by idiots.

·
Premium Member
3,800 Posts
I think I'd contest the wheelie ticket. A wheelie is a specifically controlled maneuver when done right, the opposite of reckless, uncontrolled behavior.
Of course, the defense would be a little weak if just before being ticketed I managed to back flip. And it would probably cost a bit to bring in a
wheelie expert to testify; might need to set up a demo in the Court parking lot. Well... maybe better to not wheelie in public whilst in Florida, eh?
I once got a ticket for doing donuts in a snow cocered mall parking lot in my Karmann Ghia. I appealed it and the told the Clerk of Courts and police officer that I had been practicing vehicle control in the snow and that could only make me a safer driver. I also pointed out it was late at night and the mall was closed.
The clerk replied that I was an intelligent, well spoken young man but also guilty as charged.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I think if the Police Officer shows in court then you have a high chance of losing your appeal. You could hire a specialized lawyer and maybe win on some technicality. The cost of the lawyer might outweigh the cost of some tickets, depending on the charged offence. Could all depend on whether you're in points foul territory on your license.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts