Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every spring around here the shoulders of the country roads are graded, well today I had my first runin with one of these graded section. While trying to stop on one of these sections I dumped it! Those soft shoulders are really soft now and are really dangerous if you've got to stop (even slowly). So please watch out for this too! Nothing broken on the bike just my toe is a bit sore from getting stuck under the shift lever.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
johndoe said:
Every spring around here the shoulders of the country roads are graded, well today I had my first runin with one of these graded section. While trying to stop on one of these sections I dumped it! Those soft shoulders are really soft now and are really dangerous if you've got to stop (even slowly). So please watch out for this too! Nothing broken on the bike just my toe is a bit sore from getting stuck under the shift lever.
It's amazing what they'll do to the backroads and not think a thing about bikers or even drivers at times. Glad to hear it didn't turn out worse.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Down Here in the Ozarks, we have roads that are to die for , for Motorcycles. Not just a road like Deal's gap but thousands of nameless twisty smooth properly banked racer roads. The only problem id the sub pavement which is on the shoulders is 1" limestone gravel. And the Dale Erenhart wannabies in their 400 HP $50,000.00 pickup trucks love to drop a wheel of into the gravel and spray it all over. So just when you approach that favorite turn at a good clip, you have to lift and thread you way through the marbles.
I just love to pass those guys in my Miata.

FOG

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Around here there's lots of back roads with some nice twists but you have to be really careful. Come into a corner and you have to start checking for loose gravel on the road it kinda takes the fun out of cornering fast

·
Registered
440 Posts
In my area they "pave" a lot of the roads by dumping gravel and tar and then letting the passing traffic tamp down the mess. A road without much traffic is unsuable for months. And those are just the kind that are so much fun on a bike. Even when they are reasonably flat again they are tough on the tires and you get quite a bit of road noise. And you end up with tar coated stones and crap all over your bike, especially down in your plug wells. Sucks all around.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mad Matt said:
In my area they "pave" a lot of the roads by dumping gravel and tar and then letting the passing traffic tamp down the mess. A road without much traffic is unsuable for months. And those are just the kind that are so much fun on a bike. Even when they are reasonably flat again they are tough on the tires and you get quite a bit of road noise. And you end up with tar coated stones and crap all over your bike, especially down in your plug wells. Sucks all around.
I used to live in Washington, on a road where they did that... sucks for everyone! It's so loud and when you live on that street you're gonna be on it when the rocks are fresh and throw a nice little ding on your rear quarter. Didn't have a bike then, but I DID have a Honda Spree... but I actually liked the gravel b/c that was the only way I could burn out at all. I'll tell you what though it better be cheap for the city... cause I didn't like it...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts