Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I learned when I was 6-7 years old watching/helping my Dad change oil, adjust valves ,grease the suspension on our 41 chevy+ we had a small machine shop in the cellar and I was taught to use a lathe & other machines properly. when I turned 18 and could get a real job I advanced quickly to Journeyman status from my early experience.
I did the same for my oldest son and he still make a handsome living as a CNC machinist.
I was lucky (although I sometime didn't think so )

FOG
My dads side of the family have always worked on and raced cars, it skipped a generation with my dad and he had and still has no interest in mechanical work. So I had to do tech school to learn alot in a short amount of time, and a large amount of automotive skills easily translate to motorcycles so that was an easy jump for me. Would be a different story if I lived near my grandpa as I would've spent alot of time with him but we moved 1000 miles away from him when I was 4 and never really got to see him much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I learned when I was 6-7 years old watching/helping my Dad change oil, adjust valves ,grease the suspension on our 41 chevy+ we had a small machine shop in the cellar and I was taught to use a lathe & other machines properly. when I turned 18 and could get a real job I advanced quickly to Journeyman status from my early experience.
I did the same for my oldest son and he still make a handsome living as a CNC machinist.
I was lucky (although I sometime didn't think so )

FOG
That’s awesome FOG. You can’t beat hands on experience. That’s why I’m trying to go at it myself. Quick question, Just got my race tech springs and spacers. How do I cut the spacers for my weight and install the springs?

·
Registered
19,445 Posts
complete guess work, unless your an engineer (but then you wouldn't be asking).
cut some say 20% shorter the replace the cut light with double that amount. test
sag ,ride

Repete

FOG

Reactions: AfroNinja56

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The racetech springs you ordered should be set for your weight, not the spacer. I cut my spacers at 130mm since that gave me the 10mm of preload needed, any shorter will most likely shorten the front ride height.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The racetech springs you ordered should be set for your weight, not the spacer. I cut my spacers at 130mm since that gave me the 10mm of preload needed, any shorter will most likely shorten the front ride height.
Why 130mm? And I’ve looked at the preload write up on the wiki but still don’t get it?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That spacer takes up the space in the fork with the unloaded spring, notice the stock spring is quite a bit longer than the Racetech. The spacer makes it so the spring is never loose and the ride height stays the same.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts