Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have reached the point of my build where it is time to do the suspension.

For the rear I'm running a zr7s shock. Its a street bike and want it to track easily on the highway. I might play with fog bones in the future.

Now the confusing part... The forks...

I will be modding the forks to have an oil drain and fill. Im considering cutting the stock springs, making spacers, running 15w fork oil. Where im confused is what are the inner springs used to make them progressive? Ive read mention of these inner springs but have no clue what springs are being used for this or how to set this up. Any info and pics would be greatly appreciated.

If I do the "fog fork mod" how much better are the ricor intiminators? Is it night and day difference on a street bike? If I wasnt happy with the fog forks, can I just pull out the secondary springs, adjust spacer, pop in the ricors and change oil, or would I have to get a set of uncut fork springs? Any info on the ricors vs modded forks with cut springs would be great. Thank you.

·
Registered
19,569 Posts
Fork tuneing is just that, adjustment to alter a problem. there is no standard. start with stock cut springs and set sag to your weight then ride and try to determine what you need to do next, Secondary springs will be of no use to street riding. they are to correct a problem encountered on race tracks every lap ,not some unknown street problem you never have seen, but once.

Set of emulators is worthwhile but nothing replaces test riding. get it running and report back.
FOgbones in the rear is a starting point. as they make fundamental geometry changes that you need to consider.

FOG

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. This is in response to the trash handling on my test rides before paint. Was hoping to leave it alone but way too much squish for me. Stock it's awful over washboard, bumps, pot holes, turns, and breaking. My goal is to set up the bike to be ok around town, but be capable at the track when I take her out to get a work out. I figure I will start with cut springs and 15w, and increase oil viscosity until I hit the sweet spot.

I understand how the secondary spring works, I just dont get how it is held in place. Even of I dont end up using them, I would appreciate an explination on how to install them or possibly an illistration/ picture.

Thanks for everything, cheers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts