Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a '98 500R and the stock shock is a hunk of crap.

I've heard that some people have elected to fit up a Suzuki SV650 shock in it's place. Seeing how this shock is also a piece of junk, and that most of the SV guys replace thiers with a GSXR100 unit. Would this work on the 500R?

If not, is there any other suitable replacement?

I'm not about to cough up serious cash for a Penske or other aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I have upgraded the rear spring only. Day and night difference. Do a search and you'll find quite a bit about it. Maybe the few who have done it could post up their opinions. Consider the front with it and links to raise the rear. Again, a search should find extensive discussions on all of those topics. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dad said:
I have upgraded the rear spring only. Day and night difference. Do a search and you'll find quite a bit about it. Maybe the few who have done it could post up their opinions. Consider the front with it and links to raise the rear. Again, a search should find extensive discussions on all of those topics. Good luck! :)
I did see your post about rectifying the spring. I applaud your efforts, but I'm looking for more adjustability.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
tonyjuliano said:
I did see your post about rectifying the spring. I applaud your efforts, but I'm looking for more adjustability.
Then it's break out your billfold, dust off the moths, find the Visa card, and call Penske. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got a Penske triple on my "real" bike. Not about to fork over 8 bills for this bike though.

I just snagged a ZX7 shock offa ebay fer 25 bucks, let's see if I can make it work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
tonyjuliano said:
I've got a Penske triple on my "real" bike. Not about to fork over 8 bills for this bike though.

I just snagged a ZX7 shock offa ebay fer 25 bucks, let's see if I can make it work.
Be interested in hearnig how you get on. Shock in mine is knackered and as its just my wee runabout trying to keep costs to a minimum.

Cheers

Dave

S

·
0 Posts
There's hardly any shock in the Kawa line-up that's the same length, model-vs-model! Even the zx600/zx6r shocks change length every time a new iteration is released. Expect to collect a lot of different dogbones over the years if you keep changing shocks to retain stock steeering angles.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Splash said:
Expect to collect a lot of different dogbones over the years if you keep changing shocks to retain stock steeering angles.
Would new dogbones be all that's necessary to change the shock out to one that is a different length?

Thank you!

·
Registered
19,392 Posts
No, youi can't do that without distorting the geometry. You need to shorten the shock.

FOG

·
Registered
69 Posts
I noticed on the EX250 forums that they often use the air adjustable shock off of a ZX600 ('85-'97). These shocks are apparently about a 1/2 inch shorter than the stock EX250 unit. I believe the 250 and 500 shocks are the same length...so is it safe to say that using this shock with a set of longer dogbones could be a viable alternative to a Works or Penske? I won't be racing my 500, I just want to stiffen it up, especially for 2-up riding. I've already got a set of Race-Tech springs and 10wt fork oil ready to install in the front end.

Thank you!! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
tonyjuliano said:

Hello. Did you get a chance to try the ZX7 shock on your ex500.

Thanks.
Raj

1 - 12 of 12 Posts