Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those who know RVs know that the 125 has the goofiest tire sizes ever, Front: 5.4-14 Rear: 6.7-12. The only tire available for the front is the OEM Bridgestone Rectangle turf tires, which are extremely hard to find at a price that isnt $180 per tire. After some investigation I found that the bolt pattern for the front and rear hubs are the same. So my plan was to attach the front hub to another rear rim. Turns out that the front wheel has some offset which the hub takes into account. So what I did was have some spacers machined out to place between the new rim and front hub. Doing so centers the new front wheel in the forks. There are not many tires available for the 12" rear wheel but there are a few. The tires I got for the swap are Carlisle AT489 in 22x7-12. After takeing it for a test ride the tires handle pretty good and are not any more buzzy than the 40 year old oem tires. Looks more RV like and less like the TW200's grandpa.

RV125 before the swap:

New tire on the the wheel and spacers machined:

Spacers lied out:

Front hub attached to the new front wheel with spacers:

After everything is done:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is extremely fun and will be even more so once I get the dual range transmission put in. Then it will tractor up anything. Best part about it, it's street legal. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Those who know RVs know that the 125 has the goofiest tire sizes ever, Front: 5.4-14 Rear: 6.7-12. The only tire available for the front is the OEM Bridgestone Rectangle turf tires, which are extremely hard to find at a price that isnt $180 per tire. After some investigation I found that the bolt pattern for the front and rear hubs are the same. So my plan was to attach the front hub to another rear rim. Turns out that the front wheel has some offset which the hub takes into account. So what I did was have some spacers machined out to place between the new rim and front hub. Doing so centers the new front wheel in the forks. There are not many tires available for the 12" rear wheel but there are a few. The tires I got for the swap are Carlisle AT489 in 22x7-12. After takeing it for a test ride the tires handle pretty good and are not any more buzzy than the 40 year old oem tires. Looks more RV like and less like the TW200's grandpa.

RV125 before the swap:

New tire on the the wheel and spacers machined:

Spacers lied out:

Front hub attached to the new front wheel with spacers:

After everything is done:
Good morning, I just bought an rv125 and want to do this. How thick are the spacers?

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
sorry to say, but OP last appearance here in 2014. Incumbent upon you to measure, make it happen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts