Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding around and I began to hear what sounded like pieces of metal getting shaken around. My first thought was my chain, but I pulled over, inspected the bike and noticed that some metal pieces were loosely hanging on a bent bolt coming out of my swingarm. I have no idea how the bend could've happened. I would think there'd need to be quite a bit of force to bend the bolt. Anyhow, I removed the pieces (they're on the ground in the first pic) and I've been riding since. Just wondering if anything should be done.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Thats tou left side chaind adjuster. The bolt should be centered and the cap slips over the bolt and registers on the end of the swing arm and then a double nut. It didn't get hit or anything is was not properly locked and viabrated off.

FOG

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I will take a shot at this, no guarantees for complete accuracy. It's the chain adjuster.

First, the jam nut is missing. There's supposed to be two of those nuts, I only see one. My guess is you lost the jam nut, the remaining nut backed off allowing the adjuster cap plate to come out of its registering pocket, spun, and caught one of the sprocket bolts coming by. Bent the adjuster bolt. In the pic it's not clear but I think I see the mark on that plate where it may have caught one of the sprocket bolts.

Yes you need it but if the axle is tight it shouldn't be going anywhere. Get the stud and jam nut and replace them.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right, those three pieces (in the first pic) are all I could salvage when I inspected it.

And the bolt isn't out of place, it's actually bent, here's a drawing in photoshop to better illustrate the bend. It's kind of a tight place to fit a camera lense, so this conveys the idea:

Anyhow, is this vital that I get the cap back on? It won't fit obviously due to the bend in the bolt, so how should I go about replacing the bolt? I have 0 experience in this part of the motorcycle, so I may need some direction as to how I can safely remove that bolt...

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
eXce!!eNt said:
Right, those three pieces (in the first pic) are all I could salvage when I inspected it.

And the bolt isn't out of place, it's actually bent, here's a drawing in photoshop to better illustrate the bend. It's kind of a tight place to fit a camera lense, so this conveys the idea:

Anyhow, is this vital that I get the cap back on? It won't fit obviously due to the bend in the bolt, so how should I go about replacing the bolt? I have 0 experience in this part of the motorcycle, so I may need some direction as to how I can safely remove that bolt...
You may be able to straighten it. Install the nuts and use them to grip the threaded section. Also, that stud may be cast in or may be threaded in. I don't know for sure but it may require replacement of the adjuster complete if you can't straighten it. Did you look to see if it may have hit a sprocket nut?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for that diagram dragknee!

If I remove the bolt, I should just be able to put it between two pieces of wood and stick it all in a vice clamp, then tighten the clamp. Should work?

·
Registered
633 Posts
It would work, but by bending it you are compromising the integrity of the metal. believe it or not that little bolt could really put you in a world of hurt ( bolt breaks, wheel slides forward, chain gets jammed on something, rear wheel locks, you fly through the air on your way to meet Mr. cement ). Don't go buy a cheapo home depot bolt, they arn't worth the metal they are made from.

Go to kawasaki and order a new one, install that and ride off into the sunset knowing that your bike is in good shape and will not let you down.

The scenario I gave above happened to a friend of a friend who decided to try and bend a bolt back to its original shape, then almost a year later the bolt broke on him.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Use a hardwood like oak or it will just sink in. I really don't see a need to buy a new one, the wheel isn't going anywhere with the axle bolts tight, which they should be if you're keeping up on your maintenance, so nothing to worry about. And if you want to replace it grade 8 is grade 8 no matter what you pay for it, no? One of mine was bent and the other didn't have a head on it, I picked up a pair of stainless bolts and nuts, looks good and does the job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts