Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '89 EX, and I was wondering if anyone knows what the swingarm width is where it attaches to the frame. I'm looking into designing and fabbing a new swingarm, just for shits and giggles really. Right now I'm just interested in getting an aproximate solid model, so an exact measurement isn't necessary. I looked elsewhere in the forum and didn't find any answer, as I doubt many people are interested in knowing this measurement. Thanks.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Kaw89_III said:
Fog??? He will know!
No he won't.

Take the damn thing off and measure it.

FOG

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
My EX has a early model Ninja 600 aluminum swing arm on it, don't think the race shop had too much trouble getting it on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heck yes they are, but they also a lot more complicated. Trade off worth it? Maybe, just maybe. There's nothing quite like looking at the side of a bike and saying to yourself, "shouldn't there be something holding that tire there?"

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Let me suggest that you just make sure what you've got is in good working order. If you've a mind to, make some of the mods that are tested and proven to work. Make sure you have proper safety gear. Then, spend the rest on riding it, books, and/or track time. THAT'S where you'll get something for your money. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't necessairily want something good for my money, I'm pretty sure I'd only lose money making a swing arm. I just want to engineer and fab my own, maybe shave some weight switching to aluminum, and allow for a wider tire perhaps.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
spider_kyle said:
I don't necessairily want something good for my money, I'm pretty sure I'd only lose money making a swing arm. I just want to engineer and fab my own, maybe shave some weight switching to aluminum, and allow for a wider tire perhaps.
Why bother trying to re-invent the wheel.
Slap a FZR400 or a '86 ZX6 swing arm on and you're done. Minimal amount of work, hardly ANY engineering.

·
Registered
35 Posts
bitzz said:
spider_kyle said:
Why bother trying to re-invent the wheel.
Slap a FZR400 or a '86 ZX6 swing arm on and you're done. Minimal amount of work, hardly ANY engineering.
The FZR400 option is best because it's aluminum; but good luck finding one. I had an FZR600 swingarm on my old EX500 with a Honda F2 rear wheel. I had the F2 chain adjusters machined to fit the FZR swingarm so I could use the F2 axle and brake caliper carrier. You'll need to machine the F2 cush drive down 10mm (i think; it's been a few years) and make spacers to go between the wheel and swing arm on either side. This probably sounds pretty cool - until you weigh the parts.

The FZR600 swingarm, while easy to find, is more that twice as heavy as the stock EX unit. You also need to the consider the wieght of the larger wheel and tire. Bottom line, cram a 150 Pilot Power on a '94 on newer wheel and ride the thing. Save your time and money to buy good suspension parts and sticky tires. This mod will disappoint you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts