Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have been dying to find a way to extend my swingarm and from what I have read and seen there are certain models that will slip on right. Wolf has the 600 swingarm on his bike and I assume the gpz's would work fine since its basically the same bike. Does anyone know of another model that would work that offers the extended swingarm. I want to lengthen the bike. If not does anyone have a swingarm for sale so I could try cutting it and adding length to it. I understand I would need to add a longer chain, brakeline, and redo the sprocketing but I think it would offer a much better look and more sleek low to the ground profile.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
And make it take curves like an 18 wheeler, which would kill the best feature of this bike.

Usually this mod is made to prevent the bike from doing wheelies on full acceleration, seeing how peoples seem to have problem to make our little 500 stand up even with sprockets upgrade, you'd be laughed at by the 'super sport' riding crowd.. <= friendly warning here :)

Keep us posted still, I'd like to see one but won't do that to my ride.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I can dump my clutch and pop my bike up fine but knowing me if I start mastering this im going to be one of those teenage fools that slams his bike doing 60+ riding a wheelie. I am more interested in a smoother ride and I am looking into it. If I dont like it I will take it back off. Thats the reason I dont want to junk my current swingarm with this mod.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Agia said:
slams his bike doing 60+ riding a wheelie.
Never heard of anyone being able to do this on a stock EX500 at those speeds, I think you'll become a hero for some here :eek:

Are you able to upshift while doing so ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lol what I was saying is the people I have seen riding crotch's. I cant do it and sure as hell dont want to learn. Me and my dad were riding back from the beach one day and someone flew by doing it on a susuki I believe and as soon as he got past us began riding on the reflectors on the road and nearly lost it. I dont plan on learning to ride my bike like that. I like it in good condition. Dropped it doing about 5 mph in gravel. Was bad enough.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the feeling it would ride smoother and yes alot has to do with cosmetics. I have seen alot of dragbikes stretched out like that also so I would love to see the preformance and stability offers it gives. Sorry I had missed that question.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The ex rides smooth as it is. Also, it would be a shame to lower the ex as it has little clearance to spare as it is. By lengthening the swingarm you are lengthening the wheel base. A longer wheelbase makes the bike more stable, but at the same time robs it of steering quickness.

The ex is by far, not a wheelie machine. Yes, it will loft the front, but not wheelie for long. I think even an excellent stunter would have problems wheelieing the bike for any amount of time. Also, If I remember correctly the EX is a wet sump lubrication system. This means that if you are up on one for a long time you will starve parts of the engine for oil.

Also, a longer wheel base will make the ex harder to wheelie (hence why you see dragbikes with extended swingers.) It will also not make it harder to dump the bike in a wheelie. It's still going to go over if you bring it up too far, but thats not really a problem with the ex ;D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I actually found the answer last night after about 3 hours of research online. A racer did it with his bike by using a Zx6 swingarm and spacers. I am waiting now on a reply through email to finish it so I guess that finishs this topic.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Agia said:
I am waiting now on a reply through email to finish it so I guess that finishs this topic.
You can't let this thread die after teasing us, you got to show it now... ;D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well after I pay the $220 impound fee and the unknown prices for the ticket I will invest in the swingarm and wheel and slap it together one weekend. Not going to happen for atleast 2 months.

·
Registered
298 Posts
its been two months can you show us now? please

·
Registered
192 Posts
lol, don't expect anything, some of the peeps around here have great ideas... but the attention span of a gnat, which is kinda counterproductive

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Actually, wheelie bars on an fwd keeps the suspension loaded and helps traction when properly adjusted. And with the front fairing off and a set of sprockets thrown on an EX could wheelie rather easily, justifying the longer swingarm's functionality. As for me, I just think that stretched bikes look pretty sweet. While another factory swingarm swapped onto an EX isn't going to be that long, it would allow for a few better looking tire and wheel options.

Just offering a view from the flip side of things.

·
Registered
298 Posts
alright how about now?? did you remember or is that guy right. i want to see this because im going to swap my swingarm to a zx6 but im not going to strech it, i just want to know what i need to do to make it work. you must remember.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Simplest scenario is that it's just going to fit (yeah, right :p). You're probably going to have to narrow the swingarm where it bolts into the frame, then possibly bush the swingarm bolt to get it to fit. If you get a complete swinger with the wheel and rear brake then all you'll have to do for brakes is find a way to hook up the rear caliper. Mounting and brakes done you'll have to look at the suspension. It might be a matter of just finding a shock that will reach from the EX frame to the swingarm mounting point, or you might have to fab a new mount on one end or the other to get it bolted up.

Just felt like hypothesizing to drive the thread a bit. Personally, if I do a swingarm swap down the road I'm thinking about going with dual, external springs like my KZ just to do something a little different. I'd likely stick with the internal monoshock, though, since it's the more modern technology.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts