Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm modding my '97 EX500 and replaced the front fairing with one from Flyncycle.com and bought a tach and speedo from JCwhitney.com the speedo works great on the custom bracket I made but the tach is mechanically driven which the website didn't state... I asked if there are any adapters... they said no, so I have to send it back. My question is I know there are some people on here who have done the streetfighter thing with their 500's and I was curious what they did about a tach... I'm thinking about not even worrying about it, but it is nice to know how far in the revs I am without hitting the top end and F-in up my valve springs. I also don't want to spend bucko bucks on it either, the tach and speedo from JC were only $40 a piece, great deal. I haven't been able to find a 12K rpm tach for anywhere close to what they charged me. Anywho, any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS - I also took apart the stock gauges and thought about making a casing for the original tach and going that route, but if I can find a good deal and not go through all of that it would make my life much easier!

PSS - Here's a pic so far, waiting on the Airtech rear fairing still...

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I'm one going down the streetfighter route but I haven't touched the cluster at all, I've just made brackets to hold it behind the fairing.

Do you have the speedo part # you used ? (for future referrence) ;)

Thanks a lot for the pict, it is a very sexy bike IMO, keep those coming !

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Item # ZX063673N $39.99

I didn't use the brackets it came with, I used a piece of flat steel and bent it to the width of my fairing brackets and drilled holes for the two mounts on the back and the speedo cable to go through, looks good, but it's not angled enough so it's hard to see how fast I'm going unless it's in the 50 - 80 mph range. I'm going to have to redo that one this weekend, plus I still have to wire it up. I'll try to get a pic of it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts