Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an '02 500R and the previous owner had already installed a fender eliminator kit. The bracket he used does not appear to fit the bike at all (plus he had it installed backwards), so I may end up replacing this with one of the Competition Werkes brackets.

My question - He has replaced the rear turn signals with short stalks, but the wiring seems suspect. He made use of the blue "bullet" connectors with a male attachment to the end of the signal wires. Are these male attachments something I can pick up at a hardware store, or did he pull these from the stock wires?

I would like to be able to gut everything that he has done and start over, as one of the connectors is lose from shoddy wiring. He also included a set of smoked signals, but these have a much larger male connector (LPs maybe?), and I assume I would need to find the proper female connector and splice it to the bike's harness.

·
Registered
308 Posts
the stock turn signals were connected up with bullet connectors. however they werent the kind you just go out and buy at the hardware store. they were the crimp/solder in kind and had long transparent insulators. sounds like your guy used the more normal crimp stachon with the insulation at the base.

if you want good connections you cant go wrong with solding your connectors/splices

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These appear to be the factory connectors that you mentioned (with the long insulating tube). I believe he hacked the male connectors off of the factory wires and tied them onto the ends of the aftermarket wires (without solder or crimping...just tape!??).

It sounds like it would be best if I just cut both ends of the connectors out and resolder new connections that you can actually buy at a store.

Are the larger plug/bullet style connectors that the LP lights use any easier to find, or are those also proprietary?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I just went through the same thing installing short stalks on my bike. I couldn't find the stock style connectors anywhere around here. So I purchased some of the red crimp connectors from the auto parts store. The red 24-18 connectors were still too big for the Lockhart bullets.

So I ended up replacing both ends to the red crimp style.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - I figured that was going to be the case. I was just trying to prevent hacking the stock wires if I could avoid it. It would simplify things if I ever needed to revert back to the stock pieces. Oh well, it's not too tedious of a job, so I might as well replace both.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I know what you meant. I didn't want to hack the stock wires either, I had aftermarket turnsignals sitting in my garage for a month while I looked for those darn things.

LOL :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts