Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a breif description of how to do it and what is needed

First off you need a trailer converter i used the Hoppy Trailer converter: 48" Part number 48845, it cost me 11.88 at advance auto parts. tools wise you need a pair of wire cutters/strippers, wrencehes to remove your turn signals, electical tape or shrink tube (i prefer shrink tubing it holds up better to water), you will need some male spade connectors around 3 of them, and some patience.

don't try to rush through take your time you'll spend about 1-2 hours as long as you know how to connect up wires.

i found it easier to cut off the connecters except for the one on the bike side of the taillight harness. that part will be used in the integration
you will connect the green Left turn signal wire from the bike to the converter left turn signal wire.
Second you will connect the gray Right turn signal wire from the bike to the converter right turn signal wire.
connect the red wire from the converter box to the blue/red stripe wire on the remaining harness piece via a male spade connector.
connect the left turn wire from the converter to the blue wire on the left tail light bulb.
connect the right turn wire from the converter to the blue wire on the right tail light bulb
put the two black/yellow stripe wires from the bulbs into a single male spade connecter and plug them into the harness continuing to the single black/yellow stripe wire on the harness.
put the two red wires from the bulbs into a single male spade connector and plug them into the harness continuing to the single red wire on the harness
Tape off any remaining wires(should be two from each side of the box and the two grounds from the turn signal wires) and mount the box to the bike(i used a couple zip ties to the inside of the frame.)

Run a test on everything and make sure it works properly.

if you read this and watch the video on you youtube (i beleive it was nickd who did it) then you should get a good understanding of what you're getting into. It's not that complicated to do, just take your time and double check as you go.

any questions just ask via the post or pm and i'll do my best to answer them.

Bastard Child

·
Registered
308 Posts
just something to add. some trailer wiring kits (mine for example) had about 2-3 wires left over that DONT get used.

this greatly confused me as there was never any mention in any writeup. it seemed they had the exact ammount of wires they needed and no more. i got mine from autozone if that helps out any. use only the wires specified in the writeup and youll be fine. clip off the others.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
excellent point i must have forgot to mention that. thanx for pointing it out.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
The video in question:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAItaiKhcHo

For the record, it works fine on other bikes, too. Anything with two tail bulbs. You'd just need to hunt the wires on your own. I just did a buddy's '96 CBR f3 with no problems.

Here's a video with a brief follow up explanation that someone requested I do:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMSeLslQ5zY

In action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVZog0xlqUE

Nice writeup, and good point on the excess wires. When I get one of the trailer converters the first thing I do is shorten all the wires and then tuck the unnecessary ones behind it - so it's easy to forget simple things like that.

·
Registered
308 Posts
yeah, thanks nick for the vid. it helped me tons! esp after i figured out that i wasnt gonna use all the wires. mine went off without a hitch and it REALLY cleans up the look of the tail.
one of the best mods ever

·
Registered
21 Posts
check this out. its got a good schematic in the PDF at the bottom.

http://sportbikeguy.com/garage/floor/signal.html

i was able to get the harness for $5 at walmart because it was in an unmarked package. the only thing, you might want to fab up a little divider piece for the lens, to put between the bulbs, because otherwise the left bulb will reflect onto the right side of the housing a little and vice versa. i didnt keep mine like this because of that reason. and just be careful, this isnt legal, i believe your turn signals need to be at least 12" apart, and it will probably make it a little more difficult for people behind you to tell you're turning, AKA making you more likely to get rear ended.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
MattR said:
That'd be the site I learned it from.

More likely to get rearended? Based on the fact that most of the cagers around here won't use their signals anyway I have my doubts that a blinking yellow light will be your saving grace. Whatever helps someone sleep at night is a.o.k. with me, though. I like them with or without - just a tad more without :p.

·
Registered
308 Posts
MattR said:
and just be careful, this isnt legal, i believe your turn signals need to be at least 12" apart, and it will probably make it a little more difficult for people behind you to tell you're turning, AKA making you more likely to get rear ended.
check your state laws. in texas integration is perfectly legal. i read the entire section on motorcycles and it does state that (among other things) turn signals are legal as long as they emit an amber or red light from the rear and that the turn signals may be intergrated into the rear tail light so long as all 3 functions may still be in use (illumination, brake, turn)

i have heard in californistan however that they must be 12" apart.

·
Registered
229 Posts
In good ol Michigan, turn signals are npt requried, so I figured that a brake integration would be better than taking them off.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Did this mod and it worked great!! Thanks!! My lights on my new rear blinkers (motrax micro) went out and they don't even sell replacement bulds. I found some online for 30 bucks and the blinkers only cost 15 bucks. So I just went with this option.. THANKS BC!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I did this mod yesterday and your post and videos were a great help. My only question is when I hit the brakes the lights blink faster. I did read on here that is just what happens when you do this mod but when I watch NickD's vid his doesn't do that so just wondering what the scoop is thanks again for all your info.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The reason his blinkers were normal speed was because of those two white resistors.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Actually, mine blink fast too. I haven't done the resistor mod or swapped relays (the better answer). Don't know why mine looks normal - that was with the old relay that was even worse than the one I have now.

·
Registered
440 Posts
You ADD a resistor. The lights blink faster while your rear brake light is on because there is less total resistance than stock. They will blink at the normal rate when the rear brake light is not already on since that would ahve to be lit in that case.

I left mine blinking fast since everyone told me that it really jumped out at them when they were following me. A divider between the left and right bulbs in the real tail light helps define things better.

S

·
0 Posts
Looks good, I bought a trailer harness but it made my brake lights dimmer so the turn signals would stand out which made me nervous. Overall the lack of a bright amber turn signal sticking out a bit makes me nervous since I want to be as visible as possible.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I got the hoppy also and was wondering if you use the ground and tail wires?? the gray and brown on the converter box, also I have to black and yellows ones that dont seem to go anywhere are they part of the ones that dont get used?

·
Registered
19 Posts
heh, didnt even see this forum till today lol, i saw the actual module on ebay for the turn signal eliminator, then did some research looking for it cheaper, and found a web page that decribed that all it really was was a trailer hitch adapter, took me an hour or so to do it, the vids would have made it so much smoother.

Gotta say i love the way it makes it look, so does my gf, and everyone ive talked to in town at the bike shops...now for some low profile front signals...

Dave

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Good write up. Followed instructions to a "T", worked like a charm.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts