Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'ev been wanting to clean the carbs, and adjust my pilot jets (start at 2.5). replacing the airfilter, and removing the recirculator thing made me really wanna do it. Now the bike will only go to about 2500 rpm with full choke. and if i give it some throttle in first, when cold its a bit sluggish. so i figure its time to tear into it, and make it happen.

..and that air circulator thingy..is is like a PCV valve and EGR Valve combined? i took it off to stop the exhaust popping on decel. that worked. between the air filter and that, the attitude of the bike is totally different. much smoother decel, holds speed at lower rpms much better.

any hints, tips or suggestions to someone doing this for the first time?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i think im just gonna put the re-circ thingy back on. I don't like how it idles (lopey-ish.), and the power down low is weak. i'll take the popping over poor running condition any day.

here's what i think is going on. with the engine choked (or cold), its getting the fuel it needs, but isn't burning it all. well instead of it recirculating, and eventually burning off, its just going right on out the tail pipes. the exhaust definately has the Pre 80's no emissions smell (IE, the performance smell as i call it). so i'll put it back on today and see how it runs. either way, the carbs are coming off sooner or later..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts