Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Taledega 2021

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Dent4jc 
#1 ·
It doesn't look like there's been much activity on this forum lately so I'm not sure if it's still active or not. But just wanted to put it out there that I'm doing my first track day at Talladega on memorial day and was wondering is anybody else going to be there?

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Lol. I don't think I'll be going fast enough for anyone to want me as a drafting partner. But I do hope to see some other ex500s so at least I'll have something equal to compare to.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
I had a blast on my first track day. 7 sessions of 20mins each and I can feel every bit of it in my legs, stomach, and shoulders. I learned a lot and improved with the help of a coach but still gonna need to work on my lower body position. My bike performed amazing. It felt like there was a groove in the corners that I just stuck into. I did go off track twice but kept it upright and got back on the track and pace quickly. I'll try to post some pics.

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Nice, what tyre pressures where you running front/back? Oh, what tyres where you running
Dunlop sportmax 140 and 120. Which they told me I should really get a track tire next time. 32psi front and 29psi rear. It did chew them up but still ok to use on the street
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Discussion starter · #9 ·
Very nice! I can only imagine how much fun it would be to have almost perfect corners and not have to worry about cars or LEO.

Did you have leathers already, or did the track/organization rent them?

I need to put my 996 on the track, but not before the next big service (belts, desmo valves, oil, filter, plugs, etc).
Unfortunately with covid they stopped renting leathers. I had a Joe rocket ballistic jacket and they allowed me to get pants and sew in zippers to attach them together. But I will buy some leathers next time because I think subconsciously that is why I wasn't getting my knee down for fear of actually dragging it without protection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.