Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
When test riding, stick very close to home until conditions become ascertained, by close I mean like...within sight. :D
Yeah.....pushing a bike any farther than that really sucks!!!!

·
Registered
358 Posts

When test riding, stick very close to home until conditions become ascertained, by close I mean like...within sight. :D
Within pushing distance. ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,028 Posts
Looks nice. Also looks like what you were striving to get your EX to look like.

·
Super Moderator
14,782 Posts
classic old school UJM looks. Retain them, ride ride ride.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
It’s actually a really dark blue, so dark that you need like direct sunlight to see it. I’ll try to get a picture sometime.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Here you go. Just that nice little hint of blue metallic.

·
Registered
358 Posts
That's a great looking bike. I would simply take care of the consumable (tires, brakes, fluids, etc) and just ride, ride, ride...

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Here you go. Just that nice little hint of blue metallic.
I'm not sure what Kawasaki calls that but Suzuki called it Pearl Novelty Black. Fairly sure Honda had a similar color too. My old CM250 was painted a blue pearl black.....Honda calls it Pearl Nightster Black or something equally silly.

·
Super Moderator
6,028 Posts
I call it maybe blue
Or it maybe black

·
Registered
91 Posts
PS - you probably already noticed - it looks like your side marker is missing? Being a visibility freak I can't help pointing it out. 🎇:cool:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Yes, I did notice that. I plan on getting it replaced.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I'd worry about the front tire and servicing the brakes before I gave that reflector a second thought.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Oh, for sure. Currently my list of to-dos looks something like this:
  1. Full front brake service.
  2. New front tire.
  3. New handlebars (the ones it has are not stock, so just returning it to stock style low-rise bars).
  4. Probably a few other things that I’ll figure out along the way.
  5. Replacement reflector.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
A good friend of mine came over to check out the bike today. He asked if he could ride it around the block, and I said I wish he could but the front brake is dragging so the bike pushes like it’s a million pounds. But he got on it, and lo and behold, no such problem. He said the front brake felt just like his Triumph the day he bought it new. So he takes it around the block, and says it’s ridiculous. Pulls hard, goes fast, super smooth and linear. Then he asks if he can take it in the highway. Who am I to say no? He gets back, smiling from ear to ear. Again, he says “this thing is ridiculous.” He hit 70mph in sixth gear and said it felt like the bike had plenty more to give.

So that was a surprise to me, I really thought I was dealing with a much bigger front brake problem. I still want to give it a full service, but based on my friend’s review, it sounds like I can start putting around my neighborhood ASAP.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I’d just clean and lube the sliding pins and call it good for time being.

Brakes will still work, even when the caliper doesn’t slide....but one pad will get worn down first and you risk the rotors going cone shaped.

Other than that, if the brakes work, just ride it for now

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
We're a cheerful bunch here, aren't we? 😆

61 - 80 of 80 Posts