Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
It’s been a little bit, get any riding in Zero?

·
Registered
1990 Kawasaki Zephyr ZR550
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Yes. Just a little bit. Honestly my skills are not good, and I don’t have a lot of confidence on the bike. Some of that might be low-level depression from everything going on in the world right now, and my much higher-stress recent promotion to manager at work. So I’ve not had much time, but also struggling to get over fear and the mental hurdles of feeling comfortable on the bike.

With that said, I am still very happy with the bike, and I really do think I made the right choice in getting it. It feels good. Like the proportions of the bike, the geometry of it, it’s a nice ride. It feels firmly planted to the ground, and I have never once felt like I was gonna drop the bike. Where I’m struggling to get over the initial “getting used to it” is with smooth acceleration and deceleration. Mostly on the deceleration part, it has a lot of engine compression when rolling off the throttle. I can hold the clutch in the friction zone to help with that, but still I find myself struggling to focus on what I need to do at the handles (steer, signal, and smoothly slow before the turn, and then accelerate through the turn, you know, basically all at the same time), while also keeping my head up, and looking out for traffic. The end result is a herky jerky ride, occasionally stalling the bike, and overall concern that I’m not ready for the next step.

So TL;DR, it’s not the bike, it’s me. Haha. I picked up a copy of Total Control by Lee Parks, so I’m reading that. And just taking it slow for now. I’ll take another class, and keep taking classes, maybe once a year at least. And still also taking the bike out around the block at least on my weekends. There will probably come a day where I feel better on the bike, and my confidence will go up, and then I’ll probably not stop riding it.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
glad you like it and feel it was the right choice they are a nice bike but vastly different from the EX. it will take time to get used to it. almost like learning to ride all over again but that passes.
I was just the same when changing to the VFR 750. I had been riding a GPZ305 ( for-runner of the EX 250/300) ultra lightweight nippy but under powered bike for 2years. then found the VFR and wow had to have it.
everything about the bike was different. it took two weeks of shortish rides until my brain got in tune with the bike instead of the other way round if you understand the logic of that. and then felt more confidant the more I rode it.
but it still took me months of kicking my own butt for forgetting the things i should be doing automatically that I had to think about before doing. like using indicators or braking too early or too late.
I also rode it a little faster than I should have, that made any mistakes seem a whole lot worse. but a couple speeding tickets slowed me down. LOL once in tune with the bike all that changed I could not get enough of it and rode it everywhere.
it takes times and miles on the road to appreciate a bike, you will get there in time. stay safe and enjoy your new bike.

81 - 83 of 83 Posts