Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.

I am looking to get a few basics for the new bike.

First off, I need a tank bag for the Ninja. Nothin huge, just big enough so I can take a few things with me. I'm pretty small so anything massive could hinder my ability to steer. Does anyone have any reasonably priced suggestions?

Second, I live in Jersey City and am still looking for an indoor home for the bike near me. In the mean time, I need a really good locking system. It will probably have to be locked to a tree or sign post for now.

Third, I need a decent cover that isn't going to break the bank.

Any suggestions anyone has are greatly appreciated.

Claudia

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
It may be worth getting a sturdy $10 (?) tarp that's big enough to make your own cover w/ some simple hand stitching.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Rapid Transit Recon19. I highly recommend magnetic tank bags (unless you'll be carrying materials sensitive to magnets, probably not).

You should check out the current (May '07) issue of Rider magazine. They review 22 tankbags in the issue. Good bit of info.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Gotta second that for the Rapid Transit Recon. I bought mine after Super Sneaky Steve's recommendation on the old EX500riders site. I REALLY like that one- not too big, not too small, lots of pockets and compartments, good secure magnetic mounting, will accomodate a Camelbak-type water bladder, has built-in rain cover, and can be converted to a backpack. The handlebars just touch it either way at full lock- do consider that factor for your own safety; 9 inches is about max width before they start to hit.
The new Joe Rocket Manta XL might give the Recon a run for its money, but I haven't physically examined one yet- however the original Manta has been pretty useful for me and is cheap too, about $35 or so. The Manta will hold my lunch, cellphone and a few odds and ends for commuting to and from work.
I also have a Chase Harper 800-M. Chase Harper is pricy, and although expandable and the perfect size, it is basically a big open box with no internal compartments. I wish I hadn't wasted the money on that one, but I plan to adapt it as a tailpack for longer trips.
I tried a Nelson-Rigg too but returned it, simply for aesthetic reasons; the four HUGE magnetic flaps draped down to the bottom edge of the tank and just really looked stupid. Otherwise it had a lot of good features.
I also recently saw some nice Cortech stuff at a local motorcycle shop- if I didn't already own more than I need now I would've bought it for sure!
In comparison to most new bikes which have those sexy, rounded tank shapes, the EX 500 certainly does provide a better "platform" for a lot of different tank bags.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts