Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I read that the EX-500 has a 4.8 gallon tank. I usually refill after 100 miles and get about 2 gallons. One time I forgot to refill and I ran out of gas after 130 miles. I went to the next gas station and refilled about 3 gallons. That would mean that the reserve tank is about 2 gallons? But that can't be right?

·
Registered
842 Posts
On reserve you should have about 1 gallon left. I had to switch to reserve last week after a ride. Gas station was only 3-4 miles away and when I filled I put 4.1 gallons in. Are you sure your filling up all the way? I got approx 200 miles until I hit reserve.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sirsilent said:
Hi,

I read that the EX-500 has a 4.8 gallon tank. I usually refill after 100 miles and get about 2 gallons. One time I forgot to refill and I ran out of gas after 130 miles. I went to the next gas station and refilled about 3 gallons. That would mean that the reserve tank is about 2 gallons? But that can't be right?
sounds like me and my EX-500

·
Administrator
25,179 Posts
Sirsilent said:
Hi,

it's not right. when you open your fuel cap immediately after you "run out of fuel", do you hear a popping sound as if the tank were under vacuum?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
How are you filling your tank? If you just hold the lever until it stops, then you're probably only filling to about 3.5 gallons total. You have to make sure you're putting enough gas in to bring the level up to the bottom of the filler neck. I get another gallon+ after the nozzle automatically shuts off if I hold the vapor recovery sleeve up and keep pumping.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah I just hold the lever until it stops. It probably doesn't fill all the way up. Can I really fill it up to the bottom of the filler neck?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Revival of old thread. I do fill my tank consistently as far as I can, but on the side stand, so conceivably I could get a bit more in, but not much. I almost always have to switch to reserve at around 130 miles. At that point the tank always takes around 2.2 to 2.5 gallons. In other words, I've been averaging around 52 mpgs and there must be at least an additional 2 gallons or so left in the tank, which I cannot access unless I switch to reserve. In other words, it seems like I have a 3.5-gallon tank, not a 4.8-gallon tank. For almost 20,000 miles I have been doing this and wondering, but can't think of a solution.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I always fill mine to the brim standing upright so I can get the max. I can ride anywhere from 210-240 miles before I hit reserve. Average around 52-60 mpg.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I can ride anywhere from 210-240 miles before I hit reserve.
Cannot do that. I forgot to mention that a few times I have tried filling the bike while upright and on the center stand and I only get a few more ounces of gas in that way. Like I said, it seems the tank is a gallon smaller than it says, or else the reserve somehow is 2 gallons in size! Someday when I have nothing better to do I will drain a full tank into a container and measure how much gas it holds.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Maybe it's just that the fuel line that is used when the petcock is in 'on' is higher in some bikes than others, thus making the reserve bigger???

·
Registered
206 Posts
Maybe it's just that the fuel line that is used when the petcock is in 'on' is higher in some bikes than others, thus making the reserve bigger???
That's the only thing it logically could be. Someday I will take the fuel petcock out and measure the thing--does anyone know how long it should be?

·
Registered
512 Posts
Doesnt sound right. I get 200 at least before i run out and use reserve. 09 model.
I bet your not filling it up to the neck as someone mentioned earlier. Do you just stick it in the hole all the way in, and squeeze the handle, put it on auto and, let it hang there until the handle pops?
I hold mine up near the opening and watch the gas fill all the way up until ot reaches the neck, near where the opening is.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Nope, I fill it right up to the top until it can't take anymore, but this is on the sidestand. I admit, I could get a few ounces more in there if the bike were vertical. In fact, I choose my local gas stations by the ones that allow me to just dribble out the gas to get that last little bit in. It's been consistent for 20,000 miles--will only take about 2.5 gallons max if I run it to the point I need to switch to reserve, which is right around 130 miles. Let's say that optimistically I could put 3 gallons in there if the bike were on the centerstand (I don't think it would be that much) and the reserve is about a gallon (is it really that much?), that would still leave around 0.8 gallon unaccounted for if it is supposed to be a 4.8-gallon tank.

M

·
0 Posts
Sirsilent said:
yeah I just hold the lever until it stops. It probably doesn't fill all the way up. Can I really fill it up to the bottom of the filler neck?
I fill mine up until its damn near overflowing.

Then again, there is nothing wrong with my cap either... some people's caps might leak. At any rate, I can do that and put 220 miles on a tank before reserve if I baby it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
yea i feel you op. i bearly put in 2.5 gl and the gas was bearly surfacing the metal looking down. and it gets pretty full and im averaging the same amount of mpg plus i leared my tank wasnt its original.

·
Registered
206 Posts
OK, I put the ZZR600 fuel filter in and it seems to have cured my shriveled tank problem! Something about the inline fuel filter I was using for the last few years reduced fuel pressure or something so that I had to go to reserve earlier than otherwise. Yesterday I drove about 160 miles on a tank and I still hadn't hit reserve--that used to be unheard of on my bike. I have yet to test the full range, but I'm hoping for 200+ before needing reserve.

Thanks guys--what a great mod!

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
That's an interesting solution...I guess there wasn't enough gravity to push the fuel through with a more restrictive fuel filter. Glad your issue is solved. :)

P

·
0 Posts
The most I've ever put in this bike is 4.1 gallons. I didn't feel like testing it out to see if it would go another 40 miles, but I'm very sure that it would have.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts