Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have read through the other threads on steering bearings and couldn't find the answer. I have replaced my steering bearings with tapered roller bearings; I know normally they are meant to be torqued to an initial torque setting to help "seat the bearings" so to speak and then backed off slightly and torqued to a lower setting. I am using a Haynes manual but it doesn't state about this I presume because the original ones were loose ball and cup style bearings. Does anyone know what the inital torque setting should be?

Thanks

Terence

·
Registered
19,568 Posts
Zero torque just no clearance with the front end up in the air the steering should fall freely to either side. yet have no discernible for & aft movment.

FOG

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
yeah ditto. I posted this 4hrs ago nothing happened. I just looked it's in the comments bit. so I will post it anyway.

"it is more important that the forks are free to move side to side without resistance yet without any bearing play while pulling at the forks. I am sure I ended up just over finger tight.
that is as tight as it will go via the fingers then about 1/4 turn to take out the play" .
if this is incorrect I'm sure someone will chime in.
thanks @fog.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Future project: survey various Genuine Service manuals for motorcycles that are
equipped stock with tapered roller bearings for steering. Then compare the service
manual directions to see if there is any consistent direction from the manufacturers.

Or, ask the sellers of aftermarket tapered roller bearings
for written instructions from the manufacturer of the bearings.

Or just do what Fog said.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts