Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I need some help here. does anyone else have the targa lower fairing? if so, could you post pics of how its installed, particularly mounting points, and brackets?

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I hope to get one and I would assume that they would have instructions.
If you got one used, maybe checking the Targa website.

What I wondered is if you need any extra hardware, like another fairing stay, or if it just attaches to the upper fairing and then uses the same attachment at the lower end? I am curious myself and I think I will head over to the Targa website now, since I am online, and check it out and see what I find.

I just checked Targa and here is a quote from the ex500 lower cowling product decription:

"Each model is developed for a perfect hassle-free installation and comes complete with all mounting hardware, which is also model specific with tooled and stamped brackets and plated fasteners."

Some companies post installation instructions as a .pdf file, but I couldn't find anything like that on the site. (I assume you bought a used one, if you don't have the above described fasteners and brackets.)

I would e-mail the customer support dept. and ask for all the info they can give you.

Let us know how you make out. If I get a used one cheap, I will buy one, but one that had damage just sold for $200+ on ebay. It doesn't cost much more than that for a new one with all of the hardware and no road rash!

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I emailed customer support, and will await their reply. hopefully I can get them to supply me with the required stuff to install it, or I'll buy it. I'll be SUPREMELY PO'd if they dont help me at all. in which case, I'll simply sell everything and put a 636 body on it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the Targa lower fairing and it's not too hard to take off and on. If I can get my camera working tonite, I'll take off one side and take some pix of the hardware. Basically, it's 2 thumb screws on eash side that attach the lower fairing to the upper fairing and frame plus a lower bracket and screw on each side. ;)

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
That really looks like a "stealth-ninja" as fully-faired, black bike.

Due to "PO damage" I need to do some plastic work. Since I will have to do some painting, I thought I might get the Targa in primer and do all the painting at the same time. Your pics are the first I have seen of one on the bike. It is much easier to see how it will look than just looking at the Targa website where they are shown disembodied, floating in mid-air.

Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
496 Posts
i've got the targa fairing as well...man. its such a pain in the butt. only reason i say that is because its held on by like 4 different fastners (zip ties, phillips screw, allen head, and another phillips.) i bought it that way. i need to fix it. it sucks doing the oil change (have to unbolt it to get to the filler.)

but, i still like it ALOT overall.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Exactly what NinjaGurl said. Two thumbscrews to connect the lowers to the uppers and a bracket on the bottom to screw in one more screw. Let me know if you need additional help.

My pictures are also attached. :)

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
what I need specifically, is pictures of the mounting points, and the brackets so I can understand this thing a little better.

·
Registered
21 Posts
bobthebiker said:
what I need specifically, is pictures of the mounting points, and the brackets so I can understand this thing a little better.
Sorry this took so long to post - haven't had time to take off the fairing and then the dumb camera wouldn't work right. Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've had my targa lower for about 8 years now, and i love it.. I have encountered a couple problems with mine..

first, its kind of a pain to take on and off without dinging it if you dont have a centerstand (i took mine off years ago) because it is just one peice.

the second problem i had was where the thumbs screws went in, after so many years, the fiberglass broke, so i just redrilled new holes with a dremel and put a small bracked on the two peices to thred them together, and since i've had no problems. definatly worth haing one, imo.

G

·
so this is the lower fairing i have!!! i never knew what brand it was. its very easy to mount up other than its awkward to get it completely on and off. but after a few times you get the hang of it.
oh and if you dont have a lower profile oil pan, the fairing will get in the way of oil changes. grrrr.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts