Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike has a little knick at the top of the seat, and some creases on the sides that are about ready to tear. I know if I don't patch them soon they'll just get worse. I was wondering if you guys have any way to fix that besides duct tape.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
electrical tape (kidding)

Try to pry out the staples from underneath the seat.

replace the fabric

staple new one

I've never did it myself, but I know Hollywood and Maverick had to had something similar done since they've replaced their stock seat cover. ;)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
On my '05 the cover material is just stapled on. No reason you couldn't call some fabric shops and find some outdoor (UV/cold resistant) simu-leather.

This wouldd be the time to modify/ add to the seat cushion before you fit the fabric to size.
If you have extra hands or soft-ended mini-clamps & good unhostery contact cement... then read the direction & have a go at it. AN extra set of hands helps to pull & hold things tight while fitting & glueing.

Then staple (stainless staples?) to hold it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Or you could skip all that and see if there are any good used seats on (ebay) or if anyone here is willing to unload their's at a good price

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Or go the corbin way, peoples seems to be pretty satisfyed of their Corbin seat

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1 on SciTrek's suggestion. If you refinish it, put in some better padding or gel in there. Otherwise, seats can be found for pretty cheap second hand, or a Corbin seat if you're looking to spend some cash.

·
Registered
200 Posts
i went the way of the corbin. but still waiting on recieving it. I contacted them last week and they said they only ship stuff out on fridays and when i sent an inquiry as the progress someone pulled my seat out of shipping to contact me and then never returned it to shipping so they were supposed to ship this past friday and express at that.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I bought a piece of die cut vinyl and a set of instructions on ebay for about $20 - it looks OK, not great - and takes some man handling to get all of the wrinkles out and to make it fit the contours of the seat. Not ideal but cheap.

For about $60 you can get a stiched cover from old bike barn and others - since it is stiched and made up of several pieces it should fit the contours of the seat much better - and look better too.

Corbins run $300 and up but include new and better padding.

·
Registered
97 Posts
dwengi said:
I bought a piece of die cut vinyl and a set of instructions on ebay for about $20 - it looks OK, not great - and takes some man handling to get all of the wrinkles out and to make it fit the contours of the seat. Not ideal but cheap.

For about $60 you can get a stiched cover from old bike barn and others - since it is stiched and made up of several pieces it should fit the contours of the seat much better - and look better too.

Corbins run $300 and up but include new and better padding.
[/quot

Also just to add to this have a heat gun/hair dryer to heat the vinyl up before you strech it and try to conform it to you seat, or if you dont have either,lay it out in the sun and let it get hot. This makes it about 100 times easier to work with.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With the Corbin seat, does the 94-07 one fit on my '91? I know the 500 had an "overhaul" in 94, but I don't know if they left the seat alone.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It is super easy to re-cover the seat yourself. Someone on ebay sells the vinyl cut to proper dimensions or I am sure you can find something appropriate locally. I really like the way mine turned out, it is two tone to give it a mock solo tail look with out losing the second seat (see crappy cellphone pic from 2 weeks ago when we still had snow here, from a distance it looks like a solo tail)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
What Scoob added makes sense. I never thought of that.

" Also just to add to this have a heat gun/hair dryer to heat the vinyl up before you strech it and try to conform it to you seat, or if you dont have either,lay it out in the sun and let it get hot. This makes it about 100 times easier to work with."

·
Registered
34 Posts
when I did mine I threw it in the dryer for a while then kept it warm with a hair dryer on hottest setting. It definitely helped. Also definitely have a someone help you out when you do it. It is alot easier to have someone hold it stretched tight while you staple, that way you don't end up with wrinkles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Royson said:
What road is that? Looks very familiar???
side road off of 86 near dorking heading towards the lake...about 30 minutes north of kw but really, all the side roads in farm country north of kw look like that.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
DarkNinja75 said:
With the Corbin seat, does the 94-07 one fit on my '91? I know the 500 had an "overhaul" in 94, but I don't know if they left the seat alone.
If memory serves, the seat do fit between both gen on this bike.

You can always ask Corbin to be totally clear about it ;)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
dsmmcken said:
Royson said:
What road is that? Looks very familiar???
side road off of 86 near dorking heading towards the lake...about 30 minutes north of kw but really, all the side roads in farm country north of kw look like that.
Okay. I know, silly question :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Frog said:
DarkNinja75 said:
If memory serves, the seat do fit between both gen on this bike.

You can always ask Corbin to be totally clear about it ;)
I wouln't be too sure, the bottom edge of the 1st gen is straight, the 2nd gen has an upturn between the two seats. It may physically fit but I doubt it would look right.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts