Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I recently purchased an older ('90) EX500 in need of some TLC but with low miles (10k). I'm in the process of tearing down the engine but hit a problem; I can't get the cylinder and head to seperate. Cams and such are removed, as are the 8 stud bolts that hold everything together. After working everything with a small mallet the cylinder/head assembly came apart just fine, but the gods themselves couldn't part the cylinder and head if they had to. The only thing I haven't removed are the plugs that are on the top outside of the head between the cams (hex head 10mm plugs), but even an impact gun and allen socket couldn't get those undone. But I'm doubting that those are what's holding everything together anyway (again, waiting to see what the service manual says). So, does anyone have some insight as to what may be causing this? Or is it just a really, really old gasket that doesn't want to let go? Thanks. :)

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Whoa brother , you haven't removed all the bolts. In the center on the inside of the chain gallery the is a small 10 mm bolt. on the outside rear there is another that faces upward from the cyl to the head. Remove those and the head will tap off with onlt the dowels holding it.

FOG

1 - 2 of 2 Posts