Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the thread size for the temperature sensor? I tried searching and found some conflicting information.

·
Super Moderator
6,022 Posts
The one on the radiator, or the one on the thermostat housing? Not that I know the size for either one, but I think they're different sizes.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm , which one is used for the temp gauge ? That's the one I'm looking to replace. If I'm reading the wiring diagram correctly, it's the yellow white that does to the thermostat housing.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The one on the t-stat housing is the sensor for the temp gauge. (plug, sensor, water. 92066-1118) The one on the radiator is the thermo switch for the fan. No idea what the thread size is, but its not hard to unscrew it to find out. Wait until the system is cold, of course.

·
Super Moderator
6,022 Posts
^+1
20200705_075027.jpg

·
Registered
94 Posts
"...found some conflicting information."

And I apologize if I'm adding some confusion. Is it possible Kawasaki used an NPT 1/8" standard part?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those were the two that I had found, 10mm and 1/8 npt, which I thought was just strange that they would use 1/8.

I ordered one of each and I'll report back when I get it in this week which works.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 1/8 npt came in first and that seemed to fit in without any issues, I was expecting metric as well....

To answer the question as to what I'm doing, I am putting a digital gauge in that has temp in it as well and they offer different size sensors.

·
Premium Member
3,693 Posts
The difference between the NPT and the metric is a slightly different thread pitch. Apparently it's not enough difference to matter.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The Clymer says to use a liquid gasket when replacing the temperature sensor. Does anyone have any preferences for one? I skipped this step and have a slight drip so I was going to correct that this weekend.

·
Registered
776 Posts
yeah but sealer gums up the threads. think about it plumbers use that stuff on almost every thread and almost all are tapered gas thread. if gas wont escape water wont.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry I don't have the official Kawasaki manual. In a pinch, I would use
Yamabond 4 or the equivalent Three Bond 1104, Semi-drying Liquid Gasket.

I don't think the rtv silicone gasket sealers work against coolant.
And I would resist using plumber's tape unless the manual specifies.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts