Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I was thinking along the lines of

Permatex Water Pump And Thermostat RTV Silicone Gasket

A noncorrosive, sensor-safe RTV silicone gasket material formulated specifically for water pumps and thermostat housings. Highest water-glycol resistance available in an RTV silicone.

Product Features:

Sensor-safe, noncorrosive RTV silicone gasket material
Formulated specifically for water pumps and thermostat housings
Highest water-glycol resistance available in RTV silicone
Superior adhesion and flexibility
Can be used as a gasket maker or dressing

·
Super Moderator
6,034 Posts
The Kawasaki factory service manual states to use silicone sealant. But I would think @yorkie 's idea of plumbers tape would work fine also. Altough if I were to use plumbers tape I would just wrap 1 layer around the threads.

Reactions: yorkie

·
Registered
95 Posts
Alright, I could be wrong, maybe they've changed the properties of rtv silicone, but I seem to remember problems when bikes first came out with water cooling.

...and okay, now you can call me Grandpa, and say stuff like, "There goes Grandpa again remembering stuff that happened around 1981!" :sleep::sleep:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I think rtv here (room-temperature-vulcanizing silicone) is a broad category that probably has lots that won't work, this was specifically made for that application. Permatex the brand makes several types of rtv sealants.

·
Super Moderator
6,034 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
"Was that the year of the great Tylenol scare"

Funny, I don't remember.
Damn, now it's time to take my medications again!

See ya!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I think most of us are old enough to be grandpa.in my case great grandpa. LOL. for the record I have used PTFE tape as a thread seal for 50 years never had a failure. it is on both my bikes sealing everything from the water system to the oil pressure switch I even use it on bolts as a anti back out to tighten the treads.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts