Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know how to test the cdi/ecu box,or what ever you want to call it. Or does anybody have a pinout of which pins do what? My bike isn't getting any spark and I think its at fault. How much voltage is the pickup coil( not sure what its called in motorcycle terms, its the little black box that picksup the timing marks off of the flywheel) suposed to be recieving(if any at all). I was going to have my brother weld a couple tabs for frame sliders and he came up yesterday and welded them when I was at work,needless to say, the bike doesn't get any spark anymore( I never got the cdi or the battery unhooked before he started welding). So more than likely the welder did some frying. I allready changed the altenator and pickup(because I had one laying around off of a 05) and it didn't do anything at all. Oh allmost forgot,my bike is a 94. All the lights and turn signals and horn and everything works,just no spark. I would be greatfull for any tips or info. Thanks guys/gal

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Almost guaranteed your Bro Fried you CID box. You ought to take his welder and .... anyway there is a procedure for testing but you need K's special gauge. For a mere $365. bucks you can get a new one.
I hope your brother saved you a lot of money on the free welding.

FOG

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FOG said:
Almost guaranteed your Bro Fried you CID box. You ought to take his welder and .... anyway there is a procedure for testing but you need K's special gauge. For a mere $365. bucks you can get a new one.
I hope your brother saved you a lot of money on the free welding.

FOG
It was kinda of both of are faults because I told him I would have it unhooked but he showed up a day early. So you think its a strong possiblity that it smoked it, that was my first thoughts of what was fried. How much other stuff do you think could of fried? Will the alternator/pickup off the newer bike work on my 94 without any problems?,was just wondering,they look the same in all aspects. I found em for 342 for a new one,but I'll probably get the one off of e-bay for 50$. Oh believe me,I did tell him he could stick that welder where the sun don't shine at first(just because he has worked on bikes quite a bit and should of known to check anyways) but I'm as much at fault as he is for telling him I'd have it all unhooked(just not on that day he showed up). Live and learn I guess,but I can tell ya one thing for sure,that'll never happen again. Thanks for the help FOG,not sure what I'd do with out ya(probably go with a bunch of unanswered questions I guess).

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just be glad it was not your new Mercedes. The damage would be somewhere between expensive and totaled.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts