Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
.......I read this back in '87 in Cycle Magazine when i was bike shopping, it sealed the deal for buying my '88, plus its one of the most in depth articles on the EX I have seen....

read it and be proud :)

http://mfes.com/wade/ex500cycle.html

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thread bump.

As an EX500 newbie reading the sticky threads that
are so negative about the EX500's engine, I was regretting
buying it. This thread's link's article is more positive.
I think IT should be a sticky.

(And it also shows that motorcycle magazine articles,
at least for a few years there, used to not skimp so much
on words.)

·
Registered
273 Posts
Which sticky are you talking about? I can't say I've ever seen anything talking negative about the engine? It usually praised for its durability and ease to work on.

·
Registered
11,741 Posts
Keep in mind that ad was created in 1987, today, the ex is a total dinosaur, with drive chains, carberators, engine maxed out internally, back then it was this great new bike.

It works great for all you 20 somethings just starting out with no money but in comparison to todays state of the art motorcycles it pales in comparison.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
The EX is no longer a great bike, but it can still be a very good value. You just have to find one cheap enough

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
I love mine! It does so much well that I can easily overlook its weak spots.

·
Premium Member
3,749 Posts
Agreed, sport bikes in general got a lot better over the years while the ex500 never changed except for the gen2 upgrades. But the plus side is that parts interchangeability among years is incredible, which makes parts cheap and plentiful. Also, as I've said a number of times before, it's still a pretty competent bike and in the real world, on the street, it was a lot of fun then, it still is today, and I can't think of another bike that gives a better bang for the buck. Remember, folks, these bikes are DIRT cheap to buy, insure and maintain.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I think it still compares well to new bikes, like say the honda cb500. It may not have the technology.. but who gives a crap about technology... i'm not worried about lap times :)

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
tenny80 said:
I think it still compares well to new bikes, like say the honda cb500. It may not have the technology.. but who gives a crap about technology... i'm not worried about lap times :)
I'm not quite ready to go that far.

while not every piece of performance technology from the race track is directly transferable to the street, better chassis design just makes a bike more stable and easier to ride.

If you rode the CB500 back-to-back with an EX500, the difference in FEEL would be tremendous. FOG has posted numerous times about how flexible the EX's chassis is, and how the only way to race it (competitively) was to ride through the chatter and slide the EX around the track. That may well be a few tenths FASTER than what a CB500 can turn, but the Honda will be a lot less scary to ride at that pace.

I love the EX500 enough that I'm considering going back to one after a few years on a 600RR, but it definitely has its flaws.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts